cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Achieving the Southwest Airlines Companion Pass with Chase enrollment bonus points. Questions!

tag
cabronsaim
Contributor

Achieving the Southwest Airlines Companion Pass with Chase enrollment bonus points. Questions!

Yesterday I applied for their Premier Southwest visa. Got the 50k points and they automatically opened me a Rapid rewards acct.

I then realized that in order to maximize the Pass and use it more than 1 year I need achieve 110k points before december 31st?

My plam was to apply for the "plus" or the business card to get another 25k points and hopefully also get the chase sapphire and xfer those 50k points to the Hyatt program then xfer them into rapidrewards per this link: http://thepointsguy.com/2013/07/top-1-ways-to-top-up-your-account-for-the-southwest-companion-pass/

But i just realized I have one problem. The points towards the companion pass reset every calendar year. Its middle of september so Im worried that If I am able to get approved for all 3 cards and spend the minimums to achoeve the bonus points I will only be able to use the CP for 1 year. 2015.

So my questions is this:

If I do not use this card at all untill say October 1st, then start using it and reach the minimum 2k in spenditures then, will my rapid reward points settle to that account next year?

In other words, when does the 3 months to spend start? When I get the card or when I activate it?

If I activate the card October 1st, will the 3 months start there and will the bonus points land in my RR account next year?

Hope i made sense.

Thanks

3/30/12: EX: 680 TU:667 EQ: 655
4/14/12: EX: 680 TU:678 EQ: 670

BOFA: 0/1k / CAP1: 0/1.75k / CITI: 700/2k / AMEX Gold:NPSL
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Achieving the Southwest Airlines Companion Pass with Chase enrollment bonus points. Questions!

@cabronsaim wrote:

Yesterday I applied for their Premier Southwest visa. Got the 50k points and they automatically opened me a Rapid rewards acct.

I then realized that in order to maximize the Pass and use it more than 1 year I need achieve 110k points before december 31st?

My plam was to apply for the "plus" or the business card to get another 25k points and hopefully also get the chase sapphire and xfer those 50k points to the Hyatt program then xfer them into rapidrewards per this link: http://thepointsguy.com/2013/07/top-1-ways-to-top-up-your-account-for-the-southwest-companion-pass/

But i just realized I have one problem. The points towards the companion pass reset every calendar year. Its middle of september so Im worried that If I am able to get approved for all 3 cards and spend the minimums to achoeve the bonus points I will only be able to use the CP for 1 year. 2015.

So my questions is this:

If I do not use this card at all untill say October 1st, then start using it and reach the minimum 2k in spenditures then, will my rapid reward points settle to that account next year?

In other words, when does the 3 months to spend start? When I get the card or when I activate it?

If I activate the card October 1st, will the 3 months start there and will the bonus points land in my RR account next year?

Hope i made sense.

Thanks

You should be able to call or SM chase and ask when you need to do the minimum spend by, and they'll give you the exact date. 

Message 2 of 4
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

Re: Achieving the Southwest Airlines Companion Pass with Chase enrollment bonus points. Questions!

Typically, the clock starts ticking from when the account opened / approved.  They typically they add a few days for the mail delay.  You can contact Chase and see what they will do for you.

Message 3 of 4
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditDunce wrote:

Typically, the clock starts ticking from when the account opened / approved.  They typically they add a few days for the mail delay.  You can contact Chase and see what they will do for you.

That's usually the case for most promotional sign up offers.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.