cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acquired 6 new cards in the last month. Am I in trouble?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Acquired 6 new cards in the last month. Am I in trouble?

I've only had one credit card for the last five years (wells Fargo 1% cash back) and decided I could do better. I went a little crazy and let my application success go to my head and ended up with 6 new cards in about 4 weeks.
- Discover It
- Chase Freedom
- Citi DC
- BoA BBR
- Amex BCE
- US Bank Cash Rewards (tried for the cash+)

Am I in trouble here? I don't care about my credit score taking a temporary hit but im worried these banks might CLD me or even close my account.
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Acquired 6 new cards in the last month. Am I in trouble?

no you are fine, just don't max all cards out

Message 2 of 25
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

You should be fine. Just hold off on the apps and garden and you should develop a nice file over time. Might even consider freezing your CRs.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 25
elim
Senior Contributor

should be ok,   i did this with no AA/CLD (but i did panic a little on occasion / appers remorse)...

4 cards

CU SEC loan

6 mo garden

5 cards

CU LOC

4 mo garden

2 cards

auto loan

7 mo garden

2 cards

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would just stick with those since that's a pretty nice roster.  A scenario where you use one regularly, and PIF, while rotating another one.  If you are offered Discover Double Cash Back I would consider that as your daily spend card, while rotating the others for various purposes.  Discover is a nice 2% card for regular spending, and double the percentage on categories and discover deals.  

Message 5 of 25
elim
Senior Contributor

If any lender says anything just reply with things like   "diversification"    "trial to pick my life long lender"    and my favorite...   "credit karma says 21 accounts is A+" lmao

very nice choices in accounts by the way.   

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

If any lender says anything just reply with things like   "diversification"    "trial to pick my life long lender"    and my favorite...   "credit karma says 21 accounts is A+" lmao

LOL....THIS MADE ME LAUGH SO HARD Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did pretty much the same thing a few weeks ago.  I don't see an issue with it unless your in the process of trying to get a mortgage.  

Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

lol

Message 9 of 25
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I've only had one credit card for the last five years (wells Fargo 1% cash back) and decided I could do better. I went a little crazy and let my application success go to my head and ended up with 6 new cards in about 4 weeks.
- Discover It
- Chase Freedom
- Citi DC
- BoA BBR
- Amex BCE
- US Bank Cash Rewards (tried for the cash+)

Am I in trouble here? I don't care about my credit score taking a temporary hit but im worried these banks might CLD me or even close my account.

Welcome to MyFico forum

well...first congrats on the approvals and 2nd it is too late now to worry about this ..what is done is done!  Maybe this is a question that should have been asked before going on a spree with a thin file ?  If you head to the garden now and use the cards responsibly you should be fine.

Merry Xmas Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.