cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add additional Capital1 Card to help score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Add additional Capital1 Card to help score?

Hello All 

I am new to the forum but have spent some time trolling.  There is such a wealth of information here and so much to learn. Thanks to all that post, advise, and encourage. Smiley Happy

Just starting the rebuilding process years after a messy divorse did a number on my credit.  Hoping to qualify for an FHA loan someitme in the next year or so. No BK in my past but some baddies:

Defaulted student loan and I just starting the rehab process on (I realize I will have to finish rehab before I have any hope of getting a mortgage).

One CO Chase card $1043 from 3 years ago I am hoping to PFD (I realise this may be difficult) sometime in the next few months.  

2 CO utilities (DTE and Consumers Energy) from about the same time I am also hoping to PFD.

Current scores from MYFico are EQU - 609, TU-614, EXP - 608

Current credit file I am realizing is thin and most likely needs some additions?

Auto loan with ALLY paid perfectly for 15 months.

Capital 1 Platinum card unsecured with $300 CL since November 2014 paid perfectly with less than 10% util

Question is this: I'm not sure what to add at this point? 

Another Capital 1 card or is it better to diversify? Should I add a store card too? Getting fingerhut $600 preapprovals in the mail but would rather add a JC Penny or Victoria's secret card.  

TIA for any any all suggestions!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Add additional Capital1 Card to help score?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello All 

I am new to the forum but have spent some time trolling.  There is such a wealth of information here and so much to learn. Thanks to all that post, advise, and encourage. Smiley Happy

Just starting the rebuilding process years after a messy divorse did a number on my credit.  Hoping to qualify for an FHA loan someitme in the next year or so. No BK in my past but some baddies:

Defaulted student loan and I just starting the rehab process on (I realize I will have to finish rehab before I have any hope of getting a mortgage).

One CO Chase card $1043 from 3 years ago I am hoping to PFD (I realise this may be difficult) sometime in the next few months.  

2 CO utilities (DTE and Consumers Energy) from about the same time I am also hoping to PFD.

Current scores from MYFico are EQU - 609, TU-614, EXP - 608

Current credit file I am realizing is thin and most likely needs some additions?

Auto loan with ALLY paid perfectly for 15 months.

Capital 1 Platinum card unsecured with $300 CL since November 2014 paid perfectly with less than 10% util

Question is this: I'm not sure what to add at this point? 

Another Capital 1 card or is it better to diversify? Should I add a store card too? Getting fingerhut $600 preapprovals in the mail but would rather add a JC Penny or Victoria's secret card.  

TIA for any any all suggestions!

Diversity is a good idea so a non-cap 1 card would be better. Avoid store cards. Having more than one card should help your credit over time (I think at least 3 is ideal, but you can do quite well with two cards). You should post in the mortgage section before doing anything, because I think the consensus is that you should not be apping within a year of applying for a mortgage, . 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, thank you.  I will stay away from store cards and try a post in the Mortgage forum. Thanks!

I was worried that without adding any new lines and with such a low limit on the one card it will be hard to bring up my score by just paying off old CO baddies alone if they don't agree to PDF? Maybe it would be best to lay low for now, hope for CLI's (though I hear Cap1 is conservative with these) and keep util low on my one card.

There is so much to learn!

Message 3 of 6
Callandra
Valued Contributor

I think one store card would be fine. Yes, having a ton of store cards with "toy" limits is not good for the long term, but while you're building a store card is fine especially if it's at a store where you shop frequently and can get good discounts/coupons for having the store card. If you want something else, 6-12 months (re) building history should get you in with Barclays (you can try for Rewards or the Apple Visa). 

Paying those COs in the long run will help you on manual credit reviews if nothing else. Not sure about the utility COs but the Chase CO will be a hard PFD although paying it will eventually allow you back in their good graces and Chase has lots of good cards. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi! Im in the process of rebuilding my credit too. I agree three credit cards reporting will help. Certainly stay away from the stores credit cards. This forum has been a Blessing to boosting my score. I have one Open Sky card secured one capital one secured and recently applied for a regular capital one plantium card. Hope this helps!

Message 5 of 6
jrrsmith18
Contributor

For the current cap one card you have it sounds like you are in their credit steps program.  i just completed the program and got a 1k cli, the rumors are true they like a lot ran through their card. true it is hard with such a small limit but all i did was charge pay charge pay. my recommendation is to wait till you get that cli which should be in like 3 months if im right, in the meantime work on pfd on those baddies, and then go for a barclaycard and a store card this summer (maybe if new creditors see higher limit from cap one theyd be less likely to give you toy limits).

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.