Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add me to the list -- Barclay CLD

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Add me to the list -- Barclay CLD

After reading all the stories here, and knowing my situation, I have been expecting it but it still sucks.

I opened the Apple Rewards Visa in December   This was my 4th attempt to get approved by Barclay and, beyond Capital One, my first "real" lender approval after my re-build.  It was a $2k limit and I bought a new iPad and a few other things on the 18 month financing.    Since reading here that they don't like you to carry no balance, they don't like you to have high UTIL on their card, and they want you to use the financing offer but apparently not for too terribly long, I cut the balance in half as soon as the first statement cut.    I planned to make minimum payments on the remaining $750 for 6-8 months then pay it off and never use the card again.  
However, in December I also went on a very unplanned and shockingly successful app spree.  I admitedly opend way too many cards but I kept getting these huge approvals that I could not believe so I opened numerous new cards and added probably $70k in available credit over the course of a few days.  Too much but the approvals kept coming in when I fully expected denials and then it just became addicting since it had been so long (10+ yrs) since Id seen decent credit approvals.
I know Barclay does NOT like a lot of new accts or inquiries.  They told me that once on a recon attempt and I've heard it here over and over.    

I saw in January that Barclay had done a SP on me. All my new accts were reporting then so I figured the CLD was coming at any second.  It didn't so I got lulled into a false sense of security.

I have checked it almost weekly to see if they CLD'd me and, up until this week, they have not.  

Now, however,  I am the (not so proud) owner of an Apple Visa Rewards card with a massive $950 limit and a $650 balance.  

I will be paying it off asap but I'll wait to close the card until it's at least 1 year old.   The worst part to me is that my Exp score went down when the new limit reported today.  It did not impact my over utilization at all but for that card, it went up to 68%.  

Whatever.   I'll be just fine wthout Barclay, thank you very much.  
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Add me to the list -- Barclay CLD

Add me too.  Mine got cut a few months ago and I debated for a bit on giving them a chance but after all the nonsense reading on the forums I just decided they aren't worth it.  Just called and canceled mine today.

Message 2 of 19
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Sir Barclay is a neurotic person who really needs to take a chill pill.....

I really think they do not want to compete and may eventually depart the US Credit Card Market

-J

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

This happened to me several years ago when I app'd frequently. I went ahead and kept it open for two years.

After the CLD,
I ran a 69 cents iTunes song purchase once a month through it, PIF and switched to paper statements so they'd have to eat the postage.

Closed it at 25 mo
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ugh, so sorry this happened to you, cam. That sucks. I know I've been reading these types of posts and have been hoping it won't happen to me.

I have two Barclaycards total and have opened three new accounts since getting the jetBlue Plus in Nov '16. I love my jetBlue card and really want to keep it forever. Having said that, this is going to sound bad, but if they ever CLD me I am going to transfer all the savings I have in my Barclays Dream account to NFCU and close everything with them. Two can play at that game and, if necessary, I will. Smiley Mad

Message 5 of 19
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

It's always the same old sour story coming from that bunch in striking their cardholders lines down and acting all kinds of skittish.

If you at all been closely reading the recent barclays approvals subforum also, those are mediocre if not just plain low limits that they been doing for those folks too.

One just can't help with all this rinse and repeat from them but think it's not the cardholder anymore as much but it's the Barclays credit file that's is in a real pickle.

Message 6 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

It's always the same old sour story coming from that bunch in striking their cardholders lines down and acting all kinds of skittish.

If you at all been closely reading the recent barclays approvals subforum also, those are mediocre if not just plain low limits that they been doing for those folks too.

One just can't help with all this rinse and repeat from them but think it's not the cardholder anymore as much but it's the Barclays credit file that's is in a real pickle.

Basically it was a Catch 22 for me once I'd gotten the card of my dreams, the Barclay Ring. Should I stop applying for other good sources of credit so as not to anger the Barclays gods? Or should I keep applying for other good sources of credit, so that I wouldn't feel dependent on Barclays and wouldn't sweat it if they took adverse action against me?

I opted for the latter course, and thankfully am now in a position that if Barclay pulled a CLD on me it wouldn't cause me any problem that I couldn't solve within a billing cycle.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 7 of 19
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

South Jamaica wrote:

thankfully am now in a position that if Barclay pulled a CLD on me it wouldn't cause me any problem that I couldn't solve within a billing cycle.

Now  THAT'S planning ahead! 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 8 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Basically anyone that has the desire for a Barclays card should make that 1 app a dream app and dont plan to app anything else for at least a year. Tuff to do and utterly ridiculous to try and force that on those who are trying to better their credit but still want a BC, CHASE they are notSmiley Wink.

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ugh, so sorry this happened to you, cam. That sucks. I know I've been reading these types of posts and have been hoping it won't happen to me.

I have two Barclaycards total and have opened three new accounts since getting the jetBlue Plus in Nov '16. I love my jetBlue card and really want to keep it forever. Having said that, this is going to sound bad, but if they ever CLD me I am going to transfer all the savings I have in my Barclays Dream account to NFCU and close everything with them. Two can play at that game and, if necessary, I will. Smiley Mad

I feel the exact same way. Sucks to see what happened to the OP and so many others. JetBlue is really the only reason I'm with Barclays, and I actually use the card as my daily driver. It has by far my biggest limit, plus no FTF and also has chip + PIN. The way you earn points on the JetBlue card also beats out every other airline card. I've also opened 3 new accounts since getting the card in August. They even gave me a CLI the other month. For these reasons, I'm counting on having this card long term. See what happens. I'm certainly not changing a thing with the way I use my cards or even limit how many I apply for.

Bottom line, I don't think anyone should change anything just for Barclays. It's obvious they are sensitive. If it happens, it happens.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.