Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Added the freeze and it feels good.

tag
travisr0
Contributor

Added the freeze and it feels good.

I don't know why, but feels good to lock the credit up tight and let it freeze for a while at the same time knowing it's protected a bit better. It will help staying in the garden a bit easier as well. Added the freeze to all three reports, worth it for peace of mind I guess at least IMO.

Experian 756 // Equifax 764 // Transunion 759 // AAoA 5.7 years

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
medo
Frequent Contributor

Re: Added the freeze and it feels good.

I know the feeling.  Had to do the same Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 7
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Just keep in mind that you were also automatically opted out

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hear Clark Howard talking about credit freeze all the time and how it's "cheap insurance" and I just want to scoop out my brain with a spoon.

I live in Illinois, so freezing credit is $10 per bureau per person, and thawing it is also $10 per bureau.  My wife and I apply for about three credit cards per year, so that's at least three thaws required each year.  And that's not factoring in if we apply for a CapOne card (pulls all three) or apply for a mortgage refi, car loan, new cell phone account, etc.

So for me and DW to freeze our credit, we're looking at (minimum) $120 in the first year and (minimum) $60 in each successive year perpetually.  That doesn't sound "cheap" to me.  I don't think it could feel that "good" to make up for the cost.

Chris.

Message 4 of 7
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@ojefferyo wrote:

Just keep in mind that you were also automatically opted out

+1

Message 5 of 7
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

Froze mine as well. Just an added measure of protection, I'm not really tempted to app at the moment. 

Message 6 of 7
adavis425
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I hear Clark Howard talking about credit freeze all the time and how it's "cheap insurance" and I just want to scoop out my brain with a spoon.

I live in Illinois, so freezing credit is $10 per bureau per person, and thawing it is also $10 per bureau.  My wife and I apply for about three credit cards per year, so that's at least three thaws required each year.  And that's not factoring in if we apply for a CapOne card (pulls all three) or apply for a mortgage refi, car loan, new cell phone account, etc.

So for me and DW to freeze our credit, we're looking at (minimum) $120 in the first year and (minimum) $60 in each successive year perpetually.  That doesn't sound "cheap" to me.  I don't think it could feel that "good" to make up for the cost.

Chris.

Wow! No, that doesn't sound cheap. Here in GA I'm pretty sure I paid 3$ per bureau to freeze. Same to unfreeze. Does give a sense of added security.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.