cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Added two new AMEX charge cards, how to optimize credit score across my other three revolvers?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Added two new AMEX charge cards, how to optimize credit score across my other three revolvers?

NOTE: This is the third thread I've created for this.  Before a mod removes it will you please message me and explain why?  Thanks.

Hello all!

I just recieved an offer too good to refuse and picked up two new cards.  Amex Platinum and Premier Rewards Gold (see: AMEX Pre-qual. Should I app).  100,000 point bonus with a $3k / 3mo spend for the Platinum, 50,000 point bonus with a $1k / 3mo spend for the PRG.  I plan on achieving both of these bonuses.  My question now is, how can I optimally distrubute spending accross my other cards in order to increase my credit score.

I have a Chase Sapphire Preffered $16k CLI which I love.  Have held for 3 months now and just achieved in my 50,000 mile sign up bonus with them.  I have a Chase Freedom $6k CLI which has been sitting in the background since I got the CSP (this quarters 5% category doesn't affect me much), and I have a Citi DoubleCash $2.7k CLI which I hate.  5 cards now - two Amex, two Chase, and one Citi.

As of writing this my FICO is reporting as 770, but that is pre-hit for the two Amex approvals.  I am not yet sure what my FICO will be after that, but I am assuming it'll be a relatively substantial hit (see: FICO score miscalculation after new credit account opened?) due to AAoA and the hard pull (potentially two HP's but I'm hoping they merge).

What is the most score-beneficial way for me to distribute spending accross these new cards?  How does AMEX balance effect my utilization %?  Is it bad for me to have cards be unused for the month?  IE no charges and report a $0 balance on the statement.  Is it bad for these cards to report a $0 balance for multiple months?  

My current plan is as follows.  Put a majority of the spending on both AMEX cards so as to reach the spend goal.  -- another question....would it be better to only use one of the Amex's each month?  IE achieve the PRG $1k / 3mo spend in the first month, then tackle the Platinum $3k / 3mo spend the next two months? --- sorry, back to the plan.  Put a majority of the spending on either both or one of the Amex's.  Then, put a small balance > 1% util on the CSP.  Then put a small balance > 1% util on either the Freedom or DoubleCash.  That would leave me with one card (or two depending on the Amex spend strategy) reporting a $0 balance, and having zero charges throughout the month, and two (or three depending the Amex strategy) reporting a balance.  

Let me know your thoughts on all of the above -- I apologize in advance for the multitude of questions.  Having two new cards at once has thrown me for a loop!

Thanks

EDIT: Cards arrived!  AMEX is reporting my Fico as 734.  This is better than I'd expected (I was thinking a dip into the 600's) so thats good.  My main focus now is increasing this number.  

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.