Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding AU to Amex w/previous bad account

tag
christina35
Established Member

Adding AU to Amex w/previous bad account

I have a Green Amex and wanted to add someone as an AU. He years & years ago had an Amex Green. That account was closed due to default. He ended up being laid off & times got hard (don't think deadbeat) Here's the kicker, I was also an AU on that account (we're talking more than 10 years ago, I on the other hand was a young dumb kid who just didn't care)

Last year I was sent an invite for a Green card (I know, I know) and was approved. So now I'd like to my Dad as an AU for "Just incase" type scenarios.

I just wen to add the AU and reading the terms it says " Complete the fields below to add a blah blah blah must never have had a defaulted account with America Express"

What are the chances he'd get the card, Any idea about that old balance? BTW my card that I just got says member since 2001.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Adding AU to Amex w/previous bad account

Only way to know is to add him online and see what happens.  They may reject him immediately, they may send you a letter rejecting him as an A/U, or they may just send you the card with his name (that he can then later get changed to his original MSD).

If you got in, he probably will.  There is no HP.  They just check against internal records so nothing to lose.  And he is way past being subject to collection action for his old account.  (You say it's more than 10 years ago since he defaulted?)

Sometimes it matters the amount of the chargeoff.  They say under 10K has a better chance of getting in than over 10K.

Just do it and report back!

Message 2 of 6
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

@christina35 wrote:

I have a Green Amex and wanted to add someone as an AU. He years & years ago had an Amex Green. That account was closed due to default. He ended up being laid off & times got hard (don't think deadbeat) Here's the kicker, I was also an AU on that account (we're talking more than 10 years ago, I on the other hand was a young dumb kid who just didn't care)

Last year I was sent an invite for a Green card (I know, I know) and was approved. So now I'd like to my Dad as an AU for "Just incase" type scenarios.

I just wen to add the AU and reading the terms it says " Complete the fields below to add a blah blah blah must never have had a defaulted account with America Express"

What are the chances he'd get the card, Any idea about that old balance? BTW my card that I just got says member since 2001.

I had a defaulted charge card with Amex back in 2000 (mistakes of being young) and was successfully added on as an AU to two recent Amex accounts. Like previously mentioned, go ahead and add him to see what happens. If he gets in, he'll know that he's no longer on their blacklist and can apply for his own personal card down the road. Good luck!

EDIT: Yes, your original MSD will show up on your account/card. Amex does backdating to when you first got in with them. They seem to have done if for you automatically. Usually folks request it. When I log on to my AU acccount, I have my MSD of 2000 under may name. Pretty cool Smiley Wink

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 3 of 6
christina35
Established Member

Hey! Thanks for the feedback.

I just submitted and received the response the card should arrive to my primary billing address w/in 2 weeks.

I'll report back once received.

Message 4 of 6
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

@christina35 wrote:

Hey! Thanks for the feedback.

I just submitted and received the response the card should arrive to my primary billing address w/in 2 weeks.

I'll report back once received.

He's in!! That's the response my mom got when I was added on her account.

Note: Only took a week to get the card Smiley Wink

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 5 of 6
christina35
Established Member

Update: I received her card yesterday!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.