cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Authorized AMEX User

tag
Razb0yn1k23

Adding Authorized AMEX User

Hey guys need some help. If i add someone as an authorized user on my AMEX will it help their credit score? Will AMEX report the same credit limit and backdate it on their credit report? If this wont help any other way of doing it? Sadly she has no credit history at all, and im trying to help her build credit. Doubt any credit card will approve with no credit history.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
tussking
Established Contributor

Re: Adding Authorized AMEX User

I am an example of an AU on an AMEX.

I actually got my AU AMEX 2 years before my BK and have had it since. So yes it will certainly help the rebuild. If its a charge chard it will report the full balance monthly on the CR's but won't count against the credit debt %.

Discharged BK7 - 7.16.15
Current Fico8 - (8.2022) EX - 744/EQ - 728/TU - 740
Message 2 of 4
Berk
Established Contributor

Couple of things:

1. Make sure you can completely trust the AU.

2. They should see your entire CL reflected in their CR

3. Backdating does not occur with AMEX anymore. It will show the year her AU account was opened.

4. You can set the amount of spend you want her to have on the card. For instance, my nephew is an AU on my card with a spend limit of only $1000.00, or 3% of the total line on the card.

It will certainly help her credit profile as long as yours stays healthy. A great way to get someone started on the road to establishing good credit.

Message 3 of 4
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Razb0yn1k23 wrote:

Hey guys need some help. If i add someone as an authorized user on my AMEX will it help their credit score? Will AMEX report the same credit limit and backdate it on their credit report? If this wont help any other way of doing it? Sadly she has no credit history at all, and im trying to help her build credit. Doubt any credit card will approve with no credit history.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

As Berk said, if you open an AU on a AMEX card from 2006, it will report as open 2016. No backdating anymore with AMEX.

Other lenders will report the AU account as open the same day as the main holder.

I got approved for a Secured card with BofA and a Discover card without credit history. Well my credit reports only showed a HP from Cap1 a few weeks before. I read some people get cards with Amex with no history.

I think it is better to add her to other good standing card or a couple. If there is nothing on her reports, then starting fresh with Amex as AU will help her in 6 months or so when a FICO Score generates.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.