Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Authorized user to help earn points

tag
Muzikdude
Established Member

Adding Authorized user to help earn points

I am thinking about adding my Dad as an authorized user to my Chase Freedom card in order to earn extra rewards points, as well as increase my spend. He doesn't really use credit cards (he has 1), but I talked to him and he is willing to use my Chase card for purchases that he normally makes with his debit card(which is just about everything.) This would drastically increase my spending on the card.

What I am wondering, is if Chase (or other banks) will have any issue with this, and will I be able to earn all those points from his spending. Also, would they view the combined spending(mine + his) as one, when making decisions about my account like credit limits. Would the fact that we live in different states have any affect?

He also asked me how it would affect his credit. He has impeccable credit, scores above 800 for years. I wasn't sure what to answer to that, though my thinking was it could cause a hit, at least short term, for his scores. 

Anyone done something like this?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Adding Authorized user to help earn points

Thing is the account holder is in charge no matter what. Your in charge of asking for CLI and such. You can also remove you dad anytime. As for points do you mean to your own CR or cash back? Because his spending will contribute your account for the cash back earned. Its not a seperate account. However whatever he spends does make you liable for paying back. As for the balance whatever the statment balance is in the end is the balance that will report to both yours and his reports. As for Chase allowing a AU, yes you can add him as an AU. It will show hes a an AU on his CR and not as a account holder. As affecting his scores, it will lower his AAOA if its a recent account. Basically whatever your Chase account is showing and opened is whats going to go on his report. So his report will show hes an AU for a Chase account which is X amount old with X amount limit...etc. So in the end it could hurt/benefit. 

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 3
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Adding Authorized user to help earn points

People add AU's all the time.  As stated above there's only one account so the spend does count.  Chase doesn't issue unique card numbers for AU's like AmEx so they can't tell if a charge was made by the AU by referring to the card number.

As for impact to his credit, it's impossible to provide specifics.  There's no inquiry, just a new account.  If his AAoA is sufficient (and is probably likely if what you said is accurate) then the effect may be negligible.  Best way to answer is for him to check after the account shows up on his reports.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.