cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Joint card member question...help :-)

tag
percy81
Frequent Contributor

Adding Joint card member question...help :-)

Good morning,

I've had my brother as an authorized user on my discover IT for almost 2 years and they have yet (if ever) to report my history to his credit bureaus.

He's wanting to buy his first home in the spring time and needs his scores up more (in low 600's-619).

I've decided to add him as a joint cardholder (I know the pros and cons; pros outweigh the cons) and he WILL NOT be using my card, nor do I ever default on mine. So we can trust eachother on this account.

Here's my question. He lives in a different state and he will have to put his address on the application (joint form) discover is sending. Is being in a different state an issue??

Also will they even need to pull his credit to approve him since I'm already a cardholder (5 years now) and current score is 780??

Thanks everyone for the help in advance.

Again, he won't get the card to use and I won't default on mine...so "adding joint cardholders is always a bad idea" doesn't apply here. Besides helping a family member get a home for his young family is more important than a credit card issue EVEN THOUGH IT WILL NOT BE AN ISSUE HAHA, have to keep stressing that point.

Thanks! :-)
Current: TU 772 EQ 765 EX 760 (GE credit pull)
Goal 800+
WHAT'S IN MY WALLET: American Express Blue Cash Preferred 34,000/ Citi Simplicity 16,600 / Discover IT 16,500/ Chase freedom 4,800/ Care credit 20,000/ R us MasterCard 7,500/ kohls 2,500/ LensCrafters 2,400 / Citi Double Cash 13,200/ Amazon Visa 7,000
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Adding Joint card member question...help :-)

Being in another state is not an issue, they will pull his credit as a joint cardholder is also responsible for the debt. As a joint he can do anything with the account that you can including calling and ordering self a card or even canceling the account so be very careful with this.

Message 2 of 3
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Adding Joint card member question...help :-)

State should not matter.

In my experience Discover did not pull credit when adding joint.

Keep in mind future SP CLI will probably not happen anymore and you have to CALL with BOTH people on the phone for even checking about CLI's once you are joint... otherwise not much changes on the card.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.