Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a Joint User

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Adding a Joint User

Hey Bunnyrabbit. AU's differ from joint account holder's in that they don't necessarily have to report, and in the newer scoring models they try to weed out "fraudulent" AU's so that strangers can't add people as AU's just to help their reports. This might be a small issue since your daughter doesn't have the same address as you, but I'm guessing it should still be pretty easy to see that she is your daughter so that it will actually help her score. That's the only issue you could face with her having a different address, and even then it shouldn't really be a problem. As far as what the rep told you about things not reporting, I think they're wrong. The whole point of AU's is that you help the person's credit by giving them credit history and more revolving credit (as long as the balance isn't too high). I have DH as an authorized user on my AMEX, and it reports the date I opened it (not the date I added him) and all the balance and limit info.

P.S. DH won't be geting his card either! hehe Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sent in the joint paperwork on Friday. They did a hard inquiry on his EX credit report the same day. Haven't heard anything from USBank, and my credit limit remains the same online. Crossing fingers that they added him. I'm nervous that they won't because of the negatives on his report Smiley Sad Hope I didn't waste an inquiry! 

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey Bunnyrabbit. AU's differ from joint account holder's in that they don't necessarily have to report, and in the newer scoring models they try to weed out "fraudulent" AU's so that strangers can't add people as AU's just to help their reports. This might be a small issue since your daughter doesn't have the same address as you, but I'm guessing it should still be pretty easy to see that she is your daughter so that it will actually help her score. That's the only issue you could face with her having a different address, and even then it shouldn't really be a problem. As far as what the rep told you about things not reporting, I think they're wrong. The whole point of AU's is that you help the person's credit by giving them credit history and more revolving credit (as long as the balance isn't too high). I have DH as an authorized user on my AMEX, and it reports the date I opened it (not the date I added him) and all the balance and limit info.

P.S. DH won't be geting his card either! hehe Smiley Happy

A rep did not ask anything else than her name and my mailing address. 

I didn't even mentioned her that my daughter has different address, I only told her is my daughter has different last name.

That's fine with me.    It is only 2.5k and average of $50 balance.   Even she tells her father (she is a daddy's girl), it's not a big deal.  What he is going to do to me?   I am not going to add her to my any other ccs is sure ...  for just in case she tells her father.

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update: USBank also pulled MY credit (hard pull) on EX. I wasn't looking for it so I didn't notice until now, but they were both pulled the day I sent in the paperwork to turn it into a joint account. Kind of annoyed about the inquiry ding to me, but oh well. Called in to see what was happening with it, they told me it takes 3-5 days to be initialized. If it means approval, the ding will be worth it! We will see.

Also, Experian added my name to DH report and DH's name to my report under "Personal Information - Spouse or Co-Applicant". I don't think that was there before, even though we were co-applicants on his car loan over a year ago...

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got off the phone with USBank - he's been added, and they've already mailed his card. Credit limit remains the same. Woohoo! Will report back at the beginning of next month when they update with the CRAs and let everyone know if it's reporting to his account. If it is as it should be, I can't wait to buy his score and see if that extra 7 years has helped!!!

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

The account is finally reporting, and all of the history is reporting as well. It looks exactly like it did on my report, except now Joint has been added under responsibility (on both of our reports).

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did his credit score change yet, Mank? I added my husband to 3 of my accounts last week (Chase, Wells Fargo, Citi-Home Depot). We will check his score soon, but I doubt there is much going on as we just began building his US credit in July.

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's reported on EX and TR, but EQ is lagging a little behind this month. I'm tempted to pull his TR score, but I want to see how it compares with the EQ score we pulled for him last month, so I'm waiting a few days. 

If the balance on the cards you added your DH to is low and they have some good age, then it should have a good impact on his scores.

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are WF12/2004 $80 balance $2700CL, Citi-Home Depot 3/2006 $0 balance 900CL and Chase 4/2007 $0 balance $800 CL.

WF and Chase I called and requested, HD I did online and it asked for his SSN. I hope the other two ask for SSN when an online account is created.

Did they ask for your husband's Social Security Number when you added him as auth? I heard that they often match address and name, but he doesn't use the PO Box I have my bills sent to.

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

On this one I added him as a joint user because it's USBank and they don't report authorized users. I've added him as an authorized to my AMEX and they did not need his SSN but still reported, so don't worry about that. I know Chase reports authorized users, and I'm pretty sure Citi does. Not sure on WF. Those balances and ages should do great things for his credit, especially if he doesn't have much revolving credit or age yet.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.