Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a third card (826 score)

tag
browns99df

Adding a third card (826 score)

Hi all,

I'd like to add a new credit card to my wallet so I signed up for the Score Watch here and found my Equifax FICO score to be 826. The simulator says adding a new card would drop me to around 800. I'm assuming the FICO score provided is accurate, right? And is the simulator? 

I guess I'm just looking for a human to back up my plan to get a new card, obviously I don't like my score taking a hit but is my score high enough to not worry?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Re: Adding a third card (826 score)

Congrats on the score. 

I assume you have more than a just few trade lines on your report? It helps. A thin file can get you you denied high-end credit regardless of score though I doubt you really need to worry about it with an 826. The choice is yours in terms of cards.

I wouldn't fret over dropping to 800 even if the simulator is accurate. It would only be temporary and quyickly rise in the next few months. There's nothing an 800 can't get you that an 826 will. 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 2 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@ztnjpv wrote:

Congrats on the score. 

I assume you have more than a just few trade lines on your report? It helps. A thin file can get you you denied high-end credit regardless of score though I doubt you really need to worry about it with an 826. The choice is yours in terms of cards.

I wouldn't fret over dropping to 800 even if the simulator is accurate. It would only be temporary and quyickly rise in the next few months. There's nothing an 800 can't get you that an 826 will. 

+1, even dropping to 760 (which won't happen) wouldn't make much of a difference.   But since you will have a wide range of possible cards, put some time into deciding your goals (e.g. travel rewards, cash back rewards, low APR) and get one that matches your goal with your spending patterns.

Message 3 of 16
browns99df

Thanks for the replies... I'm going for the Fidelity Amex ... which I see you both have Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 16
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

You don't happen to live in HI, CA, NV, OR or WA, do you?

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 5 of 16
browns99df

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Nope I do not

Message 6 of 16
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

You'll get the Fidelity Amex with no problem. Just make sure you have a Fidelity acocunt. It's a prerequisite

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 7 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

OK, now I want a table showing relocation costs vs increased rewards at various spending levels for that 3% card!

Message 8 of 16
fot1
Established Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Why did you ask that? Just curious.

Too many to list..
Message 9 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@fot1 wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

Why did you ask that? Just curious.

https://www.jcbusa.com/for_consumers/

3% cashback card available in those states

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.