Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding an AU

tag
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

Adding an AU

So I probably should have asked prior to adding my son (college student) as an AU to my Barclays card but does anyone know if there are CC's that don't report AU's? Should I add him to more than one of my cards to make any difference in his favor? He works full time and goes to school full time, but his (awesome) practical mathmatecs course in High School has him holding off any credit of his own until he knows he is ready for it. Just wanted to give him a jump start when that time comes.Sorry for rambling!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Adding an AU

I would personally advise to add him as AU to as many decent cards as possible. Maybe it's not worth adding him to every $500 CL store card, but if you have 2-3-4 large limit cards and adding an AU does not cost anything, just do it. Anyway, if you feel that he might run into trouble having such a huge amount of credit available... just add him and keep the card with you :-) 

I can give you my very recent example of AU magic - my wife never had ANY credit in her name in the US, and I was adding her to every single card I've been getting. 2 months ago she applied for her very first own card (Walmart) and her score was a great (yet pleasant) surprise for both of us - she had 767 TU without having a single card in her name. It has dropped a little after 2 inqs she had, but it is still much higher than mine :-)

The only thing you should not do is to add him as an AU to accounts where you've been or you might become delinquent/late. If such a thing happens, would be wise to immediately remove him from this account not to it his CR with this baddie (if it can apply for you of course)

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 2 of 3
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

Re: Adding an AU

@mikka1 wrote:

I would personally advise to add him as AU to as many decent cards as possible. Maybe it's not worth adding him to every $500 CL store card, but if you have 2-3-4 large limit cards and adding an AU does not cost anything, just do it. Anyway, if you feel that he might run into trouble having such a huge amount of credit available... just add him and keep the card with you :-) 

I can give you my very recent example of AU magic - my wife never had ANY credit in her name in the US, and I was adding her to every single card I've been getting. 2 months ago she applied for her very first own card (Walmart) and her score was a great (yet pleasant) surprise for both of us - she had 767 TU without having a single card in her name. It has dropped a little after 2 inqs she had, but it is still much higher than mine :-)

The only thing you should not do is to add him as an AU to accounts where you've been or you might become delinquent/late. If such a thing happens, would be wise to immediately remove him from this account not to it his CR with this baddie (if it can apply for you of course)

Thank you so much for the reply! I had no immediate intention of handing him the card right way. I allow him $100 for gas a month, which I pay so I was going to make him a happy shiny camper handing him the Barclays NFL card for his weekly fill-ups (then the card come back to me lol)

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.