Frequent Contributor
mikka1

Adding and managing AUs for different cards

So far every time I have been getting a new card I've been asking to add my wife as an AU (I have no issue with that, we share all money-related matters :-) just in case, remembering one of the recent threads, lol). It has always been a very smooth process, almost no questions asked, almost all done automatically. 

From what I noticed, all AU cards just have the same credentials (number, exp date, even CVC/CVV), but different name. Some lenders don't even ask for the date of birth so just for fun I ordered a card for my 3 yrs old son (I imagine him getting his card at his 16th birthday with Member since ... date on it...). 

The bad side of this is that I don't see the way of looking clearly after the spendings on those cards. Maybe I missed something, but from what I see BoA, Chase, Discover, Cap1 do not show charges from the main cardholder and AU cards separately and the only exception is Amex that has issued my wife a card with a new number, let her register her own online ID and basically use this card in a way that she can use any card that she opened for herself as a main cardholder... I haven't checked this, but it also seems that I can set some spending limits on AU cards and do some other stuff like this from my online banking. 

Long story short, my questions are rather simple:

1) What lenders provide similar "AU-friendly" experience, as Amex? (separate card number, separate online banking etc). Or Amex is the only one like that?

2) What would happen if my wife loses a wallet with an AU card having the same number as mine? Will it automatically mean that I'll have to close both cards and reissue them?

3) Any other thoughts I should keep in mind in relation to these AU cards? Does it influence how they are reported on her CR?

Many thanks! 

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum
Senior Contributor
jsucool76

Re: Adding and managing AUs for different cards

Well, hopefully you'll get someone with a lot more expertise than me, but ....

2) I know at least for cap1 (they changed my acct # due to fraud alert) that the number changed, but it just changed the entry on my CR to show the new number, it doesn't show as a closed account and then a new opened account, and if Cap1 of all people can do this, I assume some other lenders can as well :smileyvery-happy:

3) Just remember if you get something bad, like a 30+ day late payment, that will also ding all of her reports. As an AU you inherit both the good and bad history of the account. 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}