cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding auth user to AMEX that had bad history?

tag
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Adding auth user to AMEX that had bad history?

Is it possible to add an auth user to an AMEX Green account if they had a delinquent account in the past (7 years ago) with AMEX? Will they add them and is there a chance that they would cancel my account if i do add them?
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Adding auth user to AMEX that had bad history?

If they still owe Amex- probably not. They have a really long memory. Will the request affect you? Shouldn't. They'll just decline the ACM request
Message 2 of 23
HeilFico
Regular Contributor

+1 Very true, they may say no to adding the AU. In addition it could trigger an F/R (financial review) for the entire account or just the user being added. Proceed with caution. 

Message 3 of 23
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

I got my wife as AU on my Barclay cc. If I stop paying for any reazon, I'm still responsable for all charges, her's and mine, they will go after me not her. That beeing said I guess they might get picky but legally an AU has no responsability on payments, it might trigger AR and all that but you are still the grantor.

Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 4 of 23
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Actually with Amex the additional cardmember does have responsibility for the account ~ in addition to the existing cardmember.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 23
trevorgreene007

I find it hard to believe the AU has responsibility for the account.  I can add anyone to my account, as long as I know their SSN and info, with or without their knowledge.  To assume joint-accountability for the account the AU would be required to sign documentation agreeing to the terms of the account.  

Message 6 of 23
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@trevorgreene007 wrote:

I find it hard to believe the AU has responsibility for the account.  I can add anyone to my account, as long as I know their SSN and info, with or without their knowledge.  To assume joint-accountability for the account the AU would be required to sign documentation agreeing to the terms of the account.  

This is how AMEX is different ~ they don't have AUs.  They have "additional cardmembers".    Additional cardmembers can be held liable for their charges if the primary cardmember doesn't pay.   Activating and using their AMEX makes additional cardmembers subject to their cardmember agreement.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 23
trevorgreene007

Ah, I guess I could see that.  Dang terminology!  Better let my mom know she's liable for my AmEx charges Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 23
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

You might be right on Amex policy, but I doubt it will hold up in court. They will need to do at least 2 separate bills one for primary one for AU, for each account set up like these. They need to bill the person liable and if they don't do it, it will be a very shallow legal claim, since by law they got to send the bill. They might get lucky and both cardmembers got the same address and can put both names on the bill, but if one is on another address then they need to send 2 bills. Not sure how they do it but it will be a complicated legal issue if the OP defaults, to go against the AU.

Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 9 of 23
Open123
Super Contributor

On Amex's T&C, it stipulates that all AUs are responsible for "their" portion of charges if the Basic cardmember is unwilling or unable to pay.  The AU's signing of the card means acceptance of the terms per the T&C.

Of course, if it isn't signed, the AU isn't bound by the T&C.  In case of default, since the merchants accepted an "unauthorized" card, Amex will take the funds from the merchant, who will then in turn seek relief from the AU.

Either way, the AU charges will be paid.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.