Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,146
Registered: ‎11-30-2012
0

Re: Adding auth user to AMEX that had bad history?

So what is the verdict? Is it ok to add them or does it risk my account being re-reviewed or possibly shut down? The auth user had a bad account years ago, AMEX actually sued and then it was settled and paid.
Senior Contributor
Posts: 4,224
Registered: ‎02-23-2011
0

Re: Adding auth user to AMEX that had bad history?

[ Edited ]

Mike_B03 wrote:
So what is the verdict? Is it ok to add them or does it risk my account being re-reviewed or possibly shut down? The auth user had a bad account years ago, AMEX actually sued and then it was settled and paid.

If it had been paid in full, they're probably not on the blacklist.  However, if they are, they'll just decline the AU request without any negative consequences for you.

 

PS - I haven't heard of or known any AA for this, but doesn't mean it has "never" happened.

Moderator
Posts: 9,674
Registered: ‎01-28-2010
0

Re: Adding auth user to AMEX that had bad history?

 

I agree, you probably won't experience any AA from adding them as an additional cardmember.  

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Senior Contributor
Posts: 6,242
Registered: ‎08-16-2012
0

Re: Adding auth user to AMEX that had bad history?

Do what you want, but Ive read stories of ppl adding AUs with bad credit and they end up in FR or w shutdown accounts. I suppose their reasoning is that "birds of a feather flock together"..
So if you're AU has bad cred, you must be on your way to bad cred per Amex. Amex's internal policies have got to be illegal, aside from the ones we know are haha!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $12.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Arrival $12.7k | Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Contributor
Posts: 223
Registered: ‎06-28-2013
0

Re: Adding auth user to AMEX that had bad history?

Amex is known to have some draconic T&C for merchants and normally favours consumers, which is good for us, on the other hand they also are on the edge of the law. That beeing said they can do whatever they want, you're better off calling CS and speak with a CS that knows Amex, or maybe with a supervisor that can explain you Amex policy on these one. As far as I'm concern I do not like Amex ploicy and therefore never got an Amex, my wife got an Amex at some point, but stop using it in favour of a regular ViSA/MC cc, because it was not accepted everywhere, and I can understand that cause merchants terms are draconic.




Gardening until 03/11/15 last mistake ,,, 07/05/2013

Barclay FICO 610
Senior Contributor
Posts: 4,224
Registered: ‎02-23-2011
0

Re: Adding auth user to AMEX that had bad history?


Kutuzov wrote:

Amex is known to have some draconic T&C for merchants and normally favours consumers, which is good for us, on the other hand they also are on the edge of the law. That beeing said they can do whatever they want, you're better off calling CS and speak with a CS that knows Amex, or maybe with a supervisor that can explain you Amex policy on these one. 


Rather than calling them or any CSR, I've learned the hard way that the best policy is to read the T&C (for ever card, or financial transaction) carefully.  

Contributor
Posts: 223
Registered: ‎06-28-2013
0

Re: Adding auth user to AMEX that had bad history?


Open123 wrote:

Kutuzov wrote:

Amex is known to have some draconic T&C for merchants and normally favours consumers, which is good for us, on the other hand they also are on the edge of the law. That beeing said they can do whatever they want, you're better off calling CS and speak with a CS that knows Amex, or maybe with a supervisor that can explain you Amex policy on these one. 


Rather than calling them or any CSR, I've learned the hard way that the best policy is to read the T&C (for ever card, or financial transaction) carefully.  


I do the same, but you want find these on on there. I don't think the card holder agreement will say: If you add an authorised user with bad credit we will do a CL decreese or cancel your account, or put you in a not cool customer, or If you add someone with bad credit we are ok as long as you pay. It won't be there those are more in the internal policy scene, and a CS might know them.




Gardening until 03/11/15 last mistake ,,, 07/05/2013

Barclay FICO 610
Senior Contributor
Posts: 4,224
Registered: ‎02-23-2011
0

Re: Adding auth user to AMEX that had bad history?


Kutuzov wrote:

I do the same, but you want find these on on there. I don't think the card holder agreement will say: If you add an authorised user with bad credit we will do a CL decreese or cancel your account, or put you in a not cool customer, or If you add someone with bad credit we are ok as long as you pay. It won't be there those are more in the internal policy scene, and a CS might know them.


That's right, Amex will never reveal the true reason.  They'll just use "for security concerns," where they don't need to offer any explanation; or whatever other clause in their T&C, such as "we can terminate the account for any reason," and we're exercising that right.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,715
Registered: ‎03-07-2013
0

Re: Adding auth user to AMEX that had bad history?

This is interesting as i was planning on apping for amex and add my wife,who doesnt have good credit. Planned on adding her if i were to get one to help boost her score a bit. But if this is true then i might have to reconsider. Great info!


GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Valued Contributor
Posts: 1,146
Registered: ‎11-30-2012
0

Re: Adding auth user to AMEX that had bad history?

Well, I'm not even going to try because I went to do it to see what the process is like and right there at the top it says...

 

Complete the fields below to add an Additional Card member to your account. All Additional Card members must be 15 years of age or older and must never have had a defaulted account with American Express.

 


I just got this card and was amazed to even get it, not about to risk losing it.

Get a myFICO recommended credit card

Copyright ©2001-2013 Fair Isaac Corporation.
All rights reserved.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.