cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding auth user to AMEX that had bad history?

tag
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Re: Adding auth user to AMEX that had bad history?

So what is the verdict? Is it ok to add them or does it risk my account being re-reviewed or possibly shut down? The auth user had a bad account years ago, AMEX actually sued and then it was settled and paid.
Message 11 of 23
Open123
Super Contributor

@Mike_B03 wrote:
So what is the verdict? Is it ok to add them or does it risk my account being re-reviewed or possibly shut down? The auth user had a bad account years ago, AMEX actually sued and then it was settled and paid.

If it had been paid in full, they're probably not on the blacklist.  However, if they are, they'll just decline the AU request without any negative consequences for you.

PS - I haven't heard of or known any AA for this, but doesn't mean it has "never" happened.

Message 12 of 23
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I agree, you probably won't experience any AA from adding them as an additional cardmember.  

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 13 of 23
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Do what you want, but Ive read stories of ppl adding AUs with bad credit and they end up in FR or w shutdown accounts. I suppose their reasoning is that "birds of a feather flock together"..
So if you're AU has bad cred, you must be on your way to bad cred per Amex. Amex's internal policies have got to be illegal, aside from the ones we know are haha!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 14 of 23
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

Amex is known to have some draconic T&C for merchants and normally favours consumers, which is good for us, on the other hand they also are on the edge of the law. That beeing said they can do whatever they want, you're better off calling CS and speak with a CS that knows Amex, or maybe with a supervisor that can explain you Amex policy on these one. As far as I'm concern I do not like Amex ploicy and therefore never got an Amex, my wife got an Amex at some point, but stop using it in favour of a regular ViSA/MC cc, because it was not accepted everywhere, and I can understand that cause merchants terms are draconic.

Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 15 of 23
Open123
Super Contributor

@Kutuzov wrote:

Amex is known to have some draconic T&C for merchants and normally favours consumers, which is good for us, on the other hand they also are on the edge of the law. That beeing said they can do whatever they want, you're better off calling CS and speak with a CS that knows Amex, or maybe with a supervisor that can explain you Amex policy on these one. 

Rather than calling them or any CSR, I've learned the hard way that the best policy is to read the T&C (for ever card, or financial transaction) carefully.  

Message 16 of 23
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@Kutuzov wrote:

Amex is known to have some draconic T&C for merchants and normally favours consumers, which is good for us, on the other hand they also are on the edge of the law. That beeing said they can do whatever they want, you're better off calling CS and speak with a CS that knows Amex, or maybe with a supervisor that can explain you Amex policy on these one. 

Rather than calling them or any CSR, I've learned the hard way that the best policy is to read the T&C (for ever card, or financial transaction) carefully.  

I do the same, but you want find these on on there. I don't think the card holder agreement will say: If you add an authorised user with bad credit we will do a CL decreese or cancel your account, or put you in a not cool customer, or If you add someone with bad credit we are ok as long as you pay. It won't be there those are more in the internal policy scene, and a CS might know them.

Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 17 of 23
Open123
Super Contributor

@Kutuzov wrote:

I do the same, but you want find these on on there. I don't think the card holder agreement will say: If you add an authorised user with bad credit we will do a CL decreese or cancel your account, or put you in a not cool customer, or If you add someone with bad credit we are ok as long as you pay. It won't be there those are more in the internal policy scene, and a CS might know them.

That's right, Amex will never reveal the true reason.  They'll just use "for security concerns," where they don't need to offer any explanation; or whatever other clause in their T&C, such as "we can terminate the account for any reason," and we're exercising that right.

Message 18 of 23
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

This is interesting as i was planning on apping for amex and add my wife,who doesnt have good credit. Planned on adding her if i were to get one to help boost her score a bit. But if this is true then i might have to reconsider. Great info!

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 19 of 23
Mike_B03
Valued Contributor

Well, I'm not even going to try because I went to do it to see what the process is like and right there at the top it says...

Complete the fields below to add an Additional Card member to your account. All Additional Card members must be 15 years of age or older and must never have had a defaulted account with American Express.

I just got this card and was amazed to even get it, not about to risk losing it.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.