Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding authorized user to credit card

tag
tennisfan78
Established Contributor

Adding authorized user to credit card

Hello fellow members, I have decent credit history. My wife on the other hand does not have any credit cards. Would like to build her credit profile. Would it be recommended to add her as an authorized user on couple of my credit card accounts? I read somewhere that it would help build her credit profile faster.

If I add her to my discover for example, how do I go about it?  Call the company and add her as an authorized user and give them her SSN?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Adding authorized user to credit card

Yes ABSOLUTELY do this. Add her to 3 cards the oldest 1st and keep the reported balances at 10% or less. You can add an au on line or call.

My DW and I built our entire files being au's on brand new cards (see my siggy ).

Once the cards show up on all 3 bureaus you can come back on here for advice in building up her file with her own accounts.

Message 2 of 10
dragontears
Senior Contributor

I would reccommend adding her. I added my SO, who had horrible credit and never own a CC in their life, to 3 of my cards. After a year (likely could have done it sooner but he was scared of rejection) I had him run prequals for Cap1 and it came back with a prequal for both QS Visa and Venture. He applied for the QS and was instantly approved.

Just remember some lenders don't count AU accounts and some will.

Message 3 of 10
Berk
Established Contributor

Just a quick story. I rented my house out to friends while I am traveling for work. I made one friend an AU on two of my cards - a Visa and Home Depot so that he could take care of any needed expenses to the house during my absence. He had no credit cards and no credit history. Within three weeks he started getting pre approvals in the mail and has since built himself quite a decent little credit profile. Additionally, he was getting initial limits of 5k-10k on his own cards - this on an income of around 30k.

So, yes, making your wife an AU on your accounts will certainly help her credit.

Message 4 of 10
tennisfan78
Established Contributor

Sounds good. Thank you Swampy99

EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012

Message 5 of 10
tennisfan78
Established Contributor

Thanks Berk! Appreciate the input.

Message 6 of 10
tennisfan78
Established Contributor

Great suggestions. Thank you dragontears!

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tennisfan78 wrote:

Hello fellow members, I have decent credit history. My wife on the other hand does not have any credit cards. Would like to build her credit profile. Would it be recommended to add her as an authorized user on couple of my credit card accounts? I read somewhere that it would help build her credit profile faster.

If I add her to my discover for example, how do I go about it?  Call the company and add her as an authorized user and give them her SSN?

Yes adding her will help. You don't have to call them you can do it directly from discover website in your discover card account. When you log into discover go into the account tab it will drop down you will see it says add Authorized user and just fill that information out. And that is all.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@tennisfan78 wrote:

Yes adding her will help. You don't have to call them you can do it directly from discover website in your discover card account. When you log into discover go into the account tab it will drop down you will see it says add Authorized user and just fill that information out. And that is all.

and she can also pick her own card design Smiley Happy.. my wife liked that when i added her.

Message 9 of 10
tennisfan78
Established Contributor

Hello guys,

Thank you for all the suggestions guys. I added my wife on 3 credit cards as an authorized user.  Although I am carrying some balances on these cards, I plan to pay them off soon.

Planning on applying for some credit cards for the wife now. I would like her to apply for cards that have good rewards etc. Any suggestions?

Thank you

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.