Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding authorized users?

tag
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Adding authorized users?

I am considering adding my friend who has a score of 600 or so perhaps higher or lower and wondering will adding him to my card hurt my score? His score is low because he did forget about paying his student loans on time for a month or two but has since been on time. I trust him enough and etc that I know he will pay it off and if he doesn't I know I can. I am jut wondering will it effect my score and record?   I know it will if he uses it but thats not what i am asking Smiley Happy

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Adding authorized users?

Will not affect your score when adding AU

My question tho is why give them a card?

No reason to take a chance IMHO

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myjourney wrote:

+1

Simply adding him to your card will affect your score in no way. But to echo what MJ said, why even give your friend a card if all he wants to do is use your tradeline to boost his score? There doesnt seem to be a need for him to have a card..unless he wants to make charges on your card and pay it all off, PLUS pay off your balance on it as well Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's all up to you, OP. It all depends on how much you trust him. 

Personally, I wouldn't hesitate for even a second to add my best friend; in fact, I've done it before and would do it again. I wouldn't need to ask anyone's opionion on it (no pun intended, OP). Everyone else would get a flat out "no," even my siblings. And that's actually putting it kindly because I'm on this forum...

Message 4 of 6
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

+1

Simply adding him to your card will affect your score in no way. But to echo what MJ said, why even give your friend a card if all he wants to do is use your tradeline to boost his score? There doesnt seem to be a need for him to have a card..unless he wants to make charges on your card and pay it all off, PLUS pay off your balance on it as well Smiley Wink

I 100% completely trust him and I have already extended a line of credit so to speak with him in the past. I would purchase stuff for him and he would pay me back. His credit is pretty much shot so getting cards is kind of hard for him and as such just letting him piggy back on one of my cards which gets no useage anyways is helping me as well. This just saves me time actually going with him and swiping my own card and this way he can do it himself and just write me a check or hand me the cash that he owes. 

I don't trust my own siblings with a credit card in my name and one has even been asking me to lease a car in my name because my Credit score is probably the best in my family after my parents. 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
Message 5 of 6
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

As I said before I have already extended him credit informally by swiping my card myself and have him handing me the cash for it. Helped me out since I got CB from it but now I can save the time swiping for him.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.