Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding more credit cards to the mix vs Gardening

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding more credit cards to the mix vs Gardening

Hi, everyone! I recently joined the forums and I am still relatively new to all the credit card concepts and the credit card "game". My main question is inquiring about whether I should start gardening or whether I should apply for AMEX to get my foot in the door after 6 months due to my recent approval of CSP (I don't have AMEX yet). I've read that AMEX has a backdating process, which will help in the long run. My AAoA is only 1 year and 9 months or so. What would be the best move from here? Thanks for all the help!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Re: Adding more credit cards to the mix vs Gardening

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi, everyone! I recently joined the forums and I am still relatively new to all the credit card concepts and the credit card "game". My main question is inquiring about whether I should start gardening or whether I should apply for AMEX to get my foot in the door after 6 months due to my recent approval of CSP (I don't have AMEX yet). I've read that AMEX has a backdating process, which will help in the long run. My AAoA is only 1 year and 9 months or so. What would be the best move from here? Thanks for all the help!

How many credit cards do you have?

How long have you had them?

Do you have a use for an Amex, or do you just want another card?

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 2 of 11
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Pre qual!!!! Have you checked if you're pre qualified with Amex yet? 

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tcbofade wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

How many credit cards do you have?

How long have you had them?

Do you have a use for an Amex, or do you just want another card?

Hi and thanks for replying!

1) I currently have 4 credit cards. BOA cash rewards, BOA better balances rewards, CSP, and a credit union cc. 

2) I just recently received the CSP. I've had the others for about 2-3 years. I've gotten all of these with a 6 month gap between each application.

3) I don't really have a use for the AMEX. I just wanted to get my foot in the door for AMEX to start this backdating process asap, but I don't know if that's a good enough reason for it.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@heyarrnold wrote:

Pre qual!!!! Have you checked if you're pre qualified with Amex yet? 

I have checked! Smiley Happy I currently pre-qualify with the blue cash everyday, gold card, and one other one!

Message 5 of 11
tcbofade
Super Contributor

Good answers, thanks.  That helps us help you.

I believe that you qualify and would be approved, but it seems kind of frivolous to me.  If you just want to have an Amex, go ahead...

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 6 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Just apping because of backdating with no real use for the card isn't a good idea. I don't think backdating is much of an issue as some of your cards aren't that new anyway. It's not like you'll be backdated to 1995. It may not be that beneficial. Focus on whether you have an actual use for the card, IMO.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apping solely for the backdating isn't a great reason, but you do get use out of the AMEX card. BCE gives you 3% back at supermarkets, which is more than the 2% that you already get. If you app today or tomorrow, you can lock in 2014 as your member start date, in case you want a different AMEX card in the future and want to use the backdating feature. 

Message 8 of 11
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you app today or tomorrow, you can lock in 2014 as your member start date, in case you want a different AMEX card in the future and want to use the backdating feature. 

Not sure about that...

Myself and a few other forum members were just approved for AmEx in the last 2-3 days and per the CSR chat the MSD is pushed to 2015 if you open an account the last 7 calendar days of the year.

My online account also says 2015.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

You guys have been very helpful! Thank you! I'll just starting gardening my little seedlings till I find a juicy reward that I can take advantage or need to increase my UTL.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.