Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding my husband as Authorized User

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding my husband as Authorized User

Hi all,

My husband only have 1 store card (only cause he shops at that store) and he is terrified of getting a credit card. His CS is very poor due to 100+ percent utilization and student loans. 

I decided last week that since he is not getting any cc, my as well add him to 3 of my cc as an AU. Today, he received an email from Credit Karma to check his account and his CS went up 25 points(very poor to poor), utilization went to single digit and his store card CL increased. 

I told him to keep it up and he will be on the green. Hopefully this will make him want to get at least just one cc. I can't believe that AU actually works! I wonder what will happens once the other 2 of my cc reports in his CR, I'm crossing my finger that it's for the good. 

I want to own a house in the future......

Maria

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Adding my husband as Authorized User

Good decision.  If you have more cards, add him on to a few others. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to sit down and have a heart to heart discussion with him. What kind of selfish guy does want what's best for their wife. 

Message 3 of 5
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Tess1, I looked at your cards in your signature and for me is strange that the lowest limit you have is with Amex. Is the card new? Have you tried to increase the limit 3X? You can try every 3 months until they give you the increase to 3,000, then you wait 6 months to request again 3X to 9K. Good luck.

Keep the good work and keep helping your DH.

Message 4 of 5
fury1995
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all,

My husband only have 1 store card (only cause he shops at that store) and he is terrified of getting a credit card. His CS is very poor due to 100+ percent utilization and student loans. 

I decided last week that since he is not getting any cc, my as well add him to 3 of my cc as an AU. Today, he received an email from Credit Karma to check his account and his CS went up 25 points(very poor to poor), utilization went to single digit and his store card CL increased. 

I told him to keep it up and he will be on the green. Hopefully this will make him want to get at least just one cc. I can't believe that AU actually works! I wonder what will happens once the other 2 of my cc reports in his CR, I'm crossing my finger that it's for the good. 

I want to own a house in the future......

Maria

It's good what you're trying to do and setting your sights on a mortgage is a very good goal to have..

But..

Don't put too much stock in Credit Karma. It's great for monitoring but CK's scoring model calculates differently then FICO.

AU's accounts have a higher impact on CK than on FICO.

You need to get your DH's actual FICO scores if a mortgage is in your future.

Which store card does your DH currently have? Some provide a FICO for paperless statements (Walmart for example)

August 28, 2023 FICO 8

August 28, 2023 FICO BankCard 8

August 28, 2023 FICO Auto 8

citi-costco-ImgurCiti-Double-Cash
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.