Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional Card or Garden

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Additional Card or Garden

@psm wrote:

I am just above 760 for the first time (BK7 dropped off my reports in March) and am trying to decide if I should apply for a new card or garden for a while. I am an AU on my wife's AmEx BCP (member since 2011) and have been thinking to get a BCE on my own. I just got a Chase Amazon card which was more for financial reasons than FICO reasons. My AAoA is 6.8 right now and adding another new trade line should keep it above 6. We plan to buy a house in 2015~2016 so I want to optimize my score for that time frame (I have 3 INQ now and want to have none by 2015). Our largest monthly expense is groceries, and we go the AmEx BCP before realizing the main store we shop at only takes Visa, MC and Discover. So I am getting 2% cash back (groceries and restaurants) on a PNC Visa most of the time (though capped at $750 a month - so need to supplement with another card or another store and use AmEx). I have not found a non-AmEx with better than 2% on groceries. Some will have a quarterly promo but then fall back to 1%.

So I see three options and would love feedback an opinions:

1. Garden at least until there is a more obvious card to apply for

2. Get an AmEx BCE - at least it will already have 2 years on it becasue of backdating

3. Get some other card that has better groceries rewards 

Thanks!

CONGRATS on your new approvals!!! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 11 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 12 of 13
ElCamino
Contributor

Congrats on your new cards!

I'm hoping to get the Sallie Mae and beg for a Cash+ over the phone in a few months.

Amex BCE: $16.5k, Discover It: $5k, Chase Freedom Visa: $10k, Fidelity Amex: $7.5k, PenFed Cash Rewards Visa: $3.5k, CapOne Union Plus MC: $4.5k, Barclays Upromise MC: $5k, BoA Cash Rewards 123 MC: $1.5k
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.