Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adios BofA!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Adios BofA!!

It really has nothing to do with fair....it is free market at work.

Every business must compete in the market place by satisfying their customer base.  If they fail to satisfy, regardless of the circumstance, and there is enough impact on their customer base, that business will have to change something in order to remain competitive.

It is the great equalizer.  Her closure doesn't directly hurt BoA...but becoming a community bank or credit union member helps those organizations, which compete locally/regionally with BoA, which is a direct check and balance.

It isn't always about "hurting" but may very well be "supporting" the free market competition businesses which offer products, services and/or personal attention that the customer desires.  By supporting those businesses, you reward their choices in business and keep them as options in the market.

COMMENT:  I don't agree that it is best to remain with a bank just because of the length of relationship.  When a business no longer is required to compete on the basis of how it compares in the market place, then the free market begins to lose some of its power.  Don't become "dependant" on any organization solely for the "appearance of stability."  Either they provide the products and services at a level of satisfaction you find agreeable or they don't.  If they don't and won't....by all means, just like voting for elected positions, you need to financially vote with your money.

Message 11 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

okstatefan5945 wrote:

wmarat,

When you miss a payment you now pose a risk of default and profit loss to them. IN THE CREDIT CARD AGREEMENT EVERYONE GETS AND ACCEPTS BY APPLYING AND ACTIVATING IT CLEARLY LAYS OUT THE PENALTIES FOR DEFAULT INCLUDING YOUR NEW APR. This lady missed a payment for whatever reason whether she forgot, the payment was late, or she didnt have the money doesnt matter at any rate because its not the banks fault she was late. She has no right to be mad that they did what they told her they would do in the terms. She is clearly wrong here. They didnt have to give her the option of closing the account and keeping the old APR they could have said tough and left the APR alone but they didnt.

No one here would argue the bank didn't have the legal right to do what they did BUT it doesn't mean it was the right thing to do. And it doesn't matter if you argue we don't know her entire past. Forget this woman - there are plenty of stories out there of this happening to someone who had been with a bank for 20 years, never missed a payment, was late 5 day before they noticed and this happened. 
It's very simple. There are banks that will ding you EVERY SINGLE TIME something like this happens regardless of your past history (good or bad) and there are banks that are more reasonable. My argument is YOU DON'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH THESE INSTITUTIONS who can't wait for your to break a clause in your contract. There are alternatives out there who understand **bleep** happens, things get lost in the mail, fall behind the desk, etc, etc, etc. 
There are banks/CCC out their who are notorious for this and legal contract or not the fact is that they make A LOT of money on these things and come on be serious, and I don't care what the pencil pushers say, does being 5 days late on a CC payment in 20 years REALLY make you that much more of a risk? It could just make you someone who misplaced an envelope. Do it a few times or be 30 days late or really show signs that you're an increased risk then ok it's understandable. 
We all need to stop buying into the shenanigans! 
 ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
 But this is my main problem with people lately. People mess up and its all of a sudden the bank who is the bad guy. But guess what when they wanted a new car and borrowed the money, or wanted a new house and borrowed the money, or wanted a credit card and the bank took a chance they were great and now the person isnt holding up their obligations and the bank is the bad guy.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Come on highly responsible people make mistakes. There is a difference between a one time event and a pattern of irresponsibility. This is what these companies are CHOOSING to not  recognize because it's a big money maker. 

Message Edited by idmd on 01-01-2010 05:05 PM
Message Edited by idmd on 01-01-2010 05:06 PM
Message 12 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do absolutely understand people make mistakes. And again I am not necessarily defending the banks to say they are great but people should take responsibility. Now the contracts say this is what will happen. So yes even 1 payment late in 20 years can trigger this. Am I saying they shouldnt be forgiving NO. But I am also not saying you call and say sorry I was late it wont happen again and expect everything to be back to normal.

I still firmly believe they should leave the rate at the default rate for say 6 months. If it is managed responsibly ok now lets talk it was a mistake they are showing they are still a good customer lets reduce it back to its regular rate. What is wrong with this. If I owned the bank you were late that month and called and wanted rate brought back down that month I would say the same no, use the account responsibly again and then come back to me and we will talk. This is where accountability comes in. If I was late on my credit card payment this month and they sent it to default rate I would:

Call and apologize and ask if they could bring it back. If they say yes great if not I would say thank you and have a nice day. I would continue to use the card and manage it responsibly for awhile and then call back and try the goodwill method of hey I have been a good customer I messed up once and am still doing good now can we talk about fixing it back. If they say yes good if not then I would probably start looking elsewhere for a new bank.

But the bottom line is if someone messes up there is a price to be paid. If you dont like their policy you are free to walk away. But in this case as was stated how do we know this isnt her umpteenth time being late or that she got 90 days late before she got caught back up.

I realize bad things happen to good people but you cant expect them to say oh you didnt mean to ok lets fix this for you without demonstrating that fact first. If they will then great but if not you cant really get mad at them for watching their bottom line.

It is indeed the free market system and thats what makes it great is competition. Well until the government gets involved but we definately wont go into that here.

I just think some people are being ridiculous over whining over their mistakes. And I feel I can criticize that as someone who has been there. I am not and havent been perfect and am criticizing those who arent. As stated I have charge offs on my report. Both cards were measly $200 limit starter cards. After all was said and done I owed $800 on each in penalties and interest, Am I whining? No it was my own fault. I paid them and sucked it up. I am not a customer now mostly because they wont let me but I dont blame them. Chase has a card I would love to have but I screwed up with them so it wont come anytime soon until I clean my record up and prove I am worthy.

So like I said as someone who has been there I think the bank operating according to their contract is fine and them sticking to the terms and conditions is in no way UNFAIR.

Could they be more humane and understanding? ABSOLUTELY

But are they treating you unfairly by honoring the terms? ABSOLUTELY NOT

Message 13 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

BTW....less you think I don't practice what I preach. I own a very productive pediatric dental practice. We have every patient sign a form when they come into the practice stating that we have the right to charge a $100 fee, which may have to be prepaid prior to the next visit, if they fail to show for an appointment or fail to give 24-hours noticed. Failing to show for an appointment is not just an inconvenience, when it's busy that appointment being scheduled means someone else can't be scheduled there and that can mean thousands of dollars a day out of my pocket. It's a big deal.

But just because they signed the paper doesn't mean we exercise our right. If you're a longtime patient and this is the first time in 5 years (or ever) you missed an appointment we waive the fee, if you don't have a history of not showing but you give a plausible excuse that was outside your control we waive the fee. If this is the 3rd time this year and your previous excuses were I just didn't show or call because Jimmy had a school play (which has been scheduled for 9 months) and you had a brain fart, then we exercise this fee. If it continues regardless of whether or not the fees have been paid you are excused from the practice. Some days if I exercised this right on every patient regardless of reason it would mean hundreds if not thousands of dollars back in my pocket. I don't do that because IT DOESN'T SEEM RIGHT. 

Reps are asked every day to make judgement calls about whether or not they should extend credit. There's no reason they can't be asked to make a decision about one missed payment.  

Why is it my bank tells me don't worry about being 5 days late because it's the first time and others throw the penalty at you no matter the situation? I'd argue it's because my bank is better at customer service, I'd argue they are a better bank overall since they never overextended themselves in the first place, I'd argue that it's these reasons why my bank isn't trying to MAKE ME pay for THEIR past indiscretions. A handful of other banks took YOUR MONEY, MISUSED IT, and now want YOU TO PAY for THEIR MISTAKES.

You're correct, it is a free market and I want everyone on these boards to realize it. They don't have to put up with these practices. Ok....I'm done. I'm going to go drink some Heinekens! 

Message Edited by idmd on 01-01-2010 05:36 PM
Message Edited by idmd on 01-01-2010 05:37 PM
Message Edited by idmd on 01-01-2010 05:40 PM
Message 14 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK maybe I am being misunderstood... let me try this again.

I am not arguing that they are doing what is morally or ethically right.

I am saying people have no right to scream they are being unfair when indeed they told you in advance what would happen.

ABSOLUTELY they could be more forgiving and work with people which I believe they should to an extent. But them following the terms doesnt make them unfair.

If we are arguing morally right vs. wrong. Ok I will lean with you on the wrong side.

But the earlier post I was arguing said they were being unfair.

They are NOT being unfair. If they didnt tell you they would charge a fee and raise the interest if you were late and then did that is unfair. But they did so it isnt.

Being unfair = NO

Are they doings whats right = Judgement Call

Do I think they could work with more people on "accidents?" = YES

Please dont think I am saying that these terms should never be able to be "forgiven" but it is a slippery slope. Who gets the forgiven and who doesnt? How many years of no lates qualifies? Asking for someone to evaluate and make a judgement call is the best you can do and they will never be the same across the board. So yes they could work with us more but they dont have to and if they dont they arent being unfair and if you dont like it you are welcome to go to the next bank.

Message 15 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

And IDMD,

I commend you for doing that with your patients. But look at it this way you have 1 or maybe 2 offices? So you can make those calls yourself. BofA has how many thousands of branches, CSR's, and customers? Some people will get the CSR who pushes something through and makes it right and some wont. But how can you expect BofA to make all employees "fix small errors" for customers? In the end it will be a judgement call and luck of the dial on the rep you get. If you dont get results hang up and try again or try a new number. Persistence will probably eventually pay off if it is indeed the first mishap and they are a good customer. Anytime I call a CSR and dont get the results I am looking for I simply do that hang up and call back or try a different number and usually within 4-5 people I end up getting the problem resolved. Yeah its a pain but large companies have no way to make sure each CSR evaluates on the same scale. It just couldnt happen and unfortunately some CSR's cost them lots of companies and then there are CSR's who keep a lot of customers so it just depends.

Message 16 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

And IDMD,

I commend you for doing that with your patients. But look at it this way you have 1 or maybe 2 offices? So you can make those calls yourself. BofA has how many thousands of branches, CSR's, and customers? Some people will get the CSR who pushes something through and makes it right and some wont. But how can you expect BofA to make all employees "fix small errors" for customers? In the end it will be a judgement call and luck of the dial on the rep you get. If you dont get results hang up and try again or try a new number. Persistence will probably eventually pay off if it is indeed the first mishap and they are a good customer. Anytime I call a CSR and dont get the results I am looking for I simply do that hang up and call back or try a different number and usually within 4-5 people I end up getting the problem resolved. Yeah its a pain but large companies have no way to make sure each CSR evaluates on the same scale. It just couldnt happen and unfortunately some CSR's cost them lots of companies and then there are CSR's who keep a lot of customers so it just depends.

The process could absolutely be standardized to an extent just like everything else is standardized at large companies. There are rules in place for who gets credit and there are rules CURRENTLY in place on who gets whacked with the APR stick if they default. It's not that the system isn't in place and doesn't work, it's that the rules of the system are unjust. 
CSR could take your phone call, look at your history, listen to your reason, look at their computer where it says, "First time late in 5 years - less than 10 days late - will pay immediately or has paid balance =  warning" or "Third late in past year - all under 10 days over due = 6 month APR increase with restoration to current rate if no further delinquencies" etc, etc, etc. 
There has to be a way to implement these kinds of things as there are multiple banking institutions who do manage to run themselves in a more "compassionate" manor.  

P.S. Not trying to really direct this at you. This appeals to the "14 year old fight the man" part of me. I whole heartedly believe in the free market economy.  I make my living in the free market economy. It just pains me to see that the free market economy is often manipulated by huge multi-billion dollar companies who have convinced the public that they don't have any rights or say in what happens to them and that these companies pretend to be their friends even though they're screwing you as they look you in the eye.
The free market economy is a myth to an extent. It's more like a pyramid scheme whereby the top 1% have set all the rules of the game including advertising, perceptions of what the "American dream" should be, you expectations for what's reasonable for you to acquire in life, to simply siphon money from the poorest levels of society up the pyramid to them. 
I say this as someone who probably lives in the top 2% of society and who has many wall street relatives who set things up this way, knowingly, and they are laughing all the way to their $3.5M dollar house in CT - even in a down economy.
I have an uncle who was a vice president for Morgan Stanley, 4 cousins (all his children) who are in banking or hedge funds, and they are all laughing at the American public all the way to the bank.  

Message Edited by idmd on 01-01-2010 06:09 PM
Message Edited by idmd on 01-01-2010 06:12 PM
Message 17 of 30
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The process could absolutely be standardized to an extent just like everything else is standardized at large companies. There are rules in place for who gets credit and there are rules CURRENTLY in place on who gets whacked with the APR stick if they default. It's not that the system isn't in place and doesn't work, it's that the rules of the system are unjust. 
There has to be a way to implement these kinds of things as there are multiple banking institutions who do manage to run themselves in a more "compassionate" manor.  

The rules aren't unjust, they are the rules the companies have decided to use.  If you decide you don't like them then don't use the service and use another company, or avoid all of these issues and use CASH.  That avoids all the issues in this matter.  Forget compassion, that is a loosy goosy term and people will take advantage of it.  I want a company who states their policies and expectations up front and then I'll agree agree with them or take my business elsewhere.  If I goof up then I have to suffer the consequences and I won't whine about it.

Your other comments about free market capitalism being stacked against the little guy is too far afield to warrant a response in this forum. 

Message 18 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

The rules aren't unjust, they are the rules the companies have decided to use.  If you decide you don't like them then don't use the service and use another company, or avoid all of these issues and use CASH.  That avoids all the issues in this matter. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

This is actually exactly what I'm saying

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Your other comments about free market capitalism being stacked against the little guy is too far afield to warrant a response in this forum. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forgive me I still have some 31 year old hippy liberalism in me even though I'm in an unfavorable tax bracket. What's the saying, "If you're young and not liberal you don't have a heart. If you're old and not conservative you don't have a brain"? Just a joke to lighten the mood a little. 

Message 19 of 30
wmarat
Valued Contributor

I disagree. Yes, banks have some costs of doing business, which is tax deductable in many countries, and even if it is not tax deductable in the States they can pay minimum wages to branch managers, LO amd many others useless people "working" in branch.

2. Banks advertise "free checking account", I did not put gun to their heads, I did not blackmailed them to let me have free checking. Those "genious" decided that to offer free checking is still profitable for them, others even found that paying some APY is still profitable, so I still believe that having money in checking accoynt without APY is money lent for free.

3. Savings rates are low, very low, so it does not matter if we are talking about savings or checking.

4. All AA's are perfectly legal, no argument. They are justified in some cases and not in others. This particular video, indeed, does not provide enough information to decide whether it was justified or not.

5. Banks hurt a lot of people without any reason, my question is what banks are going to do to gain my business again, after this credit madness over and CARD Act cancelled. It is going to cost much more, then they saved now.

6. But generally speaking I do agree with you in most points.

@Anonymous wrote:

wmarat,

On your accounts the savings accounts pay you interest so I will assume you are talking about checking accounts. First I am not necessarily saying banks are always right or wrong BUT they are a business and just like every other business they are there to make money. Thats the bottom line. You say you lend them your money for free. I want to argue this point because the maintenance on a checking account isnt free. They have to pay branch managers to run the bank, pay for the building they are in, keep power running water etc. on in the building. They have to purchase supplies to keep the bank running, pay for the vault in the bank, pay for security monitoring, FDIC insurance, the tellers at the bank, the webmaster who keeps your online banking going, and I could go on but I will stop here.

They have upkeep cost on your checking accounts. Most banks dont make money on letting you have a free checking account although your money is there. If you dont like "lending" them your money for free you are more than welcome to buy your own vault or safe and keep it in your closet.

Most of their money is made on lending. And lending especially right now is a big risk. I AM NOT SAYING THEY ARENT TO BLAME PARTIALLY because banks have been lending people more than they could afford which is partially why we are here in the first place. You see banks lose $20K, $30K, $50K, and even hundreds of thousands on foreclosures every day, they reposses autos are forced to sale them for less and take the loss unless they are lucky enought to recover the difference. People out there blame the bank when they come take their car or house they person hasnt paid for and get mad and destroy the collateral. I have a relative that bought a truck worth at least $10K in great condition and got it for less than 25% of that because when the owner found out it was being repoed he destroyed parts of it. Nothing unfixable but the bank took a bigger loss on it. Therefore on those that complete the loans and the bank makes money they have to make more than they lost on the rest.

When you miss a payment you now pose a risk of default and profit loss to them. IN THE CREDIT CARD AGREEMENT EVERYONE GETS AND ACCEPTS BY APPLYING AND ACTIVATING IT CLEARLY LAYS OUT THE PENALTIES FOR DEFAULT INCLUDING YOUR NEW APR. This lady missed a payment for whatever reason whether she forgot, the payment was late, or she didnt have the money doesnt matter at any rate because its not the banks fault she was late. She has no right to be mad that they did what they told her they would do in the terms. She is clearly wrong here. They didnt have to give her the option of closing the account and keeping the old APR they could have said tough and left the APR alone but they didnt.

Now I am not saying a bank cant be forgiving or may not be able to help their customers on a honest mistake or unavoidable problem. But instead of getting mad instantly why couldnt she have mad timely payments for 6-12 months to show that she was still worthy and then call and plead her case that it was a mistake and why and show she is being responsible and it was a one time issue and maybe then get some forgivance and working terms from the bank.

You cant expect them to say oh you didnt mean to be late this month we are sorry we will reset your terms. They dont know that you are in a good position and that you cna pay next month. Now I am not saying either some banks wont work with you more. There probably is a bank that would have helped her in this situation.

But this is my main problem with people lately. People mess up and its all of a sudden the bank who is the bad guy. But guess what when they wanted a new car and borrowed the money, or wanted a new house and borrowed the money, or wanted a credit card and the bank took a chance they were great and now the person isnt holding up their obligations and the bank is the bad guy.

And yes it has happened to me I had a Chase and Cap 1 I was late both went to default rates and were charged off. I went back and paid them since then but I couldnt make the payments when I lost my job. But guess what did I get mad at Chase and Cap 1? NO because I was the one who borrowed the money I WAS THE ONE WHO CHARGED STUFF TO THE CARD and then couldnt pay for it and they stuck with the terms and I paid for it in the end. But I dont blame them I shouldnt have borrowed money I couldnt pay back. I shouldnt have maxed out the cards if I had been PIF'ing like I should have it wouldnt ever have happened when I lost my job because I wouldnt have a credit card bill.

And now neither bank will give me the time of day and guess what I DONT BLAME THEM I WOULDNT EITHER because I screwed up not them.

I will get off my soapbox now but people need to quit blaming the banks for everything and take a little responsibility for their own actions.

Message Edited by wmarat on 01-01-2010 05:06 PM
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.