Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Before Entering the Air Force?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice Before Entering the Air Force?

Just joined up and thought I'd ask for some opinions!

A little backstory.  I'd recently started working at Northrop Grumman as a digital systems engineer.  Back a year and a half ago I had applied for and was offered a commission as a developmental engineer in the Air Force and have since set a tentative officer training school class date of April next year.  The plan was to stay here for ~1 year until April 2018 when I would leave NG and enter the Air Force.

Now, I have two Capital One cards - an older Journey and newer Quicksilver.  I'm expecting $2000+  of purchases within half a day once I get to OTS for uniforms, moving, etc; we're reimbursed eventually, but were told to have a card in hand when we get there.  The credit limit on both of these cards is frankly pitiful ($1000 on the QS, $600 on the Journey) and I understand why, but I would consider my financial situation better than most given a year out of college and the history on these cards is perfect.

Any opinions on what the best way would be to go about contacting Capital One for a CLI so I'm not hit for 300% of my total available credit in the spring?  I'm told it's fine to provide a copy of my class date/orders if I want to explain what's going on, and no offense intended but I feel like it would be lost on the Indian guy on the other side of the customer support line.  I'd rather not go around shopping for more cards if at all possible.  Also, this may be a stupid question, but I've never had need to know until this point... I live near a Cap One Bank branch; is this the same entity that their cards are through, and if so, do these branches actually have a customer lobby where I could talk with someone?

Much appreciated!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Advice Before Entering the Air Force?

If you wanted to stay with Cap1 then my suggestion would be apply for the QS or Venture card to get a bigger limit assuming you are making more money now as well?  Also other cards to consider applying for would be Amex and Discover or possibly even Chase and spreading your wings out to other lenders.  Sounds like you have good payment history?  If so you should have no issues getting in with Amex, Chase, etc with alot better CL's than what you currently have.  That is my suggestion is obtaining one or two new cards.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

USAA and NFCU are very generous with credit lines. They cater to individuals with military backgrounds.
Message 3 of 11
RadioRob
Established Contributor

First, thank you for your service and sacrifice.

As West501 noted, if you qualify for membership, I would personally try for a NFCU card. Much more generous terms and have background in supporting our men and women in uniform.
Message 4 of 11
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
USAA and NFCU are very generous with credit lines. They cater to individuals with military backgrounds.

duh how did I forget about those two suggestions as well Smiley Happy.  Good call!

Message 5 of 11
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Northrop Grumman Federal Credit Union (NGFCU),  https://www.ngfcu.us/home/
1.5% cash-back,  unlimited,  non category,  No AF,  No FTF

Working there you might get a good Cl

Nice looking card's for someone in the Air-Force

GlobalHawk-dropshadow.jpgOldGlory.jpgOneWorld.jpgOverTheClouds.jpgT-38_Talon.jpg

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just want to chime in on some very good advice you’ve been offered:

If you don’t get a sufficient limit from usaa or NFCU (which should be your first choices) amex BCE is a good way to get a large limit quickly. They love files like yours, and, if you have no credit issues within 61 days, you can ask for and expect to receive a x3 CLI (example: 2000 starring limit on 11/1/17, x3 to 6000 limit on 1/1/18). There’s a very thorough guide somewhere here on the forums.

One more note: make sure whatever bank you end up using for those expenses know when to expect them so they don’t get flagged as unusual/potentially fraudulent.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Make sure you don't get air sick.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the tips... in general order of response -

Yep, payment history is perfect.

@Rob I appreciate it;  I kinda feel bad since I'll probably just land in an office in Dayton as opposed to the guys really out there in the field, but thanks nonetheless!

I talked with our NG Credit Union rep not too long ago; for someone in my position right now, they were definitely competitive but I really want to go talk with USAA first, will probably discuss switching the car insurance over to them at the same time.  I suspect you guys are right in that they're going to be the most generous.  I'm mostly looking between them and also Chase right now in the small amount of reading I did over lunch.

Noted; I'll definitely call ahead when the time comes.  Have ran into that before when traveling.

Haha, I don't think that will be a problem.  There's a single prop Cessna that runs shuttles between here in Baltimore and back where I lived at; I'll never understand why half the people on that plane look like they're about to keel over.  I usually just enjoy the turbulance.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just want to say good luck with you career and thank you for your service. Wear your uniform with pride and know you join a brotherhood that will last a lifetime. Dv
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.