cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Chase Freedom? or wait a few years?

tag
biancarnieves

Advice Chase Freedom? or wait a few years?

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forums and new to credit in general. I turned 18 a couple of weeks ago and I want some good advice on what direction to head towards in hopes of achieving an excellent credit history without opening pointless accounts. My circumstances aren't normal and I'm hoping to maybe use that as some leverage. 

I have my own Social Media Management company, as well as doing some free-lance web and graphic design on the side. My yearly income is around 130k right now and I'm going to college on a full academic scholarship. I've basically got a lot of money just sitting in the bank and with no credit history? I can't make any advancements as far as buying a home, investment properties, heck I can't even get a car unless I opt to pay cash. 

I've been approved for a Discover it ($500) and a Capital One Journey ($300)

I have ample proof of income and don't mind a low limit. Should I apply for some higher-end cards like the Chase Freedom and speak with someone to Recon? I'm expecting a denial but I am wondering if maybe they would be able to help. Let me know! Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Advice Chase Freedom? or wait a few years?

You need some garden time.  Take the two you have, use them and PIF.  Let them get some age to them.  I'd wait about 6 months and then apply for another card.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 7
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Take some time to build your credit history. Jumping straight to Chase is not a good idea.

Message 3 of 7
JoshuaHolySpirit
Frequent Contributor

I had so much money lying around. What I did when I was your age, I opened few ''loans against CD'' from a few prime banks and then paid it monthly to show some installment loans going on. I also got the Cap One cards and a few secured credit cards from other popular banks in the tune of $5000 or so. Within one year plus, I got Amex and other equavalents.....No sweat-!!!! All the best.........

Capital One QS1, Capital One Journey, Williams-Sonoma Visa, Amex Travelocity, Chase Slate, Amex SPG, Amex Blue Sky, Bank of America Travel Rewards, JCPenney...and more ( Holy Spirit rocks-!! ) TU-Fico-777
Message 4 of 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Welcome to the forum. I would try for a secured card from a local credit union or BoA and put a large deposit down. These will unsecure and return your money after showing good history. I have found credit cards like matching CLs.

This could help you avoid getting toy limits in the future. Good Luck with your credit journey.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 5 of 7
nmac
Regular Contributor

I have heard of chase offering the freedom card to people with little to no credit history who have at least 10K worth of deposits with them. Do you bank with Chase? If not and you really want a Freedom card it may be something worth considering. That being said I'm not sure about the time frame required. I sort of doubt that you could open a checkking account and get aproved for the credit card the same day with so little history. Good Luck. 

Quick Silver 2k - Discover 4.3K - Chase Freedom 7.6K - Venture 13K
Citi Double Cash 3.5K - Amex SPG 5K - CSP 5K - Arrival+ 3K
SW Premiere 5K - Citi TY Premiere 3.7K - FNBO Sun Country 3.6K
BOA Cash Rewards 5K - DCU Platinum 10K - Spirit 5K
Message 6 of 7
iwant700fico
Frequent Contributor

Apply at your local branch and make sure you have 10k plus in your account and you are good to go.  

EQ 786 2/2018
TU 792 8/2018
EX 776 2/2018 Chase CSR $28.5k
Barclay Advantage $17.5 k
Amex BCE $29k
CITI Advantage $24.2k
Amex HILTON $13k
Total Rewards visa $20K
Chase INK $11k
Chase Sapphire Reserve $28.5k
BOA 8k
Discover IT 8K
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.