Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice For College Student

tag
koalas123
Valued Member

Advice For College Student

Hi everyone,

I'm kinda lost on what to do right now with my credit portfolio ... I recently applied for a Amex Blue Cash card, and was approved for $7700.  That leaves my LOCs as:

Citi Forward                             $9700                                

Capital One Platinum               $750 ($39 annual fee)

Bank of America Student         $2500

Target Store Card                    $1000

Blue Cash                                $7700

($0 balance on any card)

Should I close down my Capital One card since it has an annual fee and *might* not grow?  Would closing the Target card be a good idea as well since I don't really use it?  My primary concern is it seems like I have too much credit available for a 21 year old college student... It's sort of tempting sometimes to overspend because of the amount of credit available.  Please advise.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
andre181
Established Contributor

Re: Advice For College Student

I am also a 21 year old college student Smiley Happy

Have you tried to call capital one and ask them to drop the annual fee? I got Capital One to drop the annual fee on my Visa card. 

If they won't drop it for you, I would say to go ahead and close it. You look like you are in good shape, you don't need that card.

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 2 of 22
vish1
Valued Contributor

@koalas123 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm kinda lost on what to do right now with my credit portfolio ... I recently applied for a Amex Blue Cash card, and was approved for $7700.  That leaves my LOCs as:

Citi Forward                             $9700                                

Capital One Platinum               $750 ($39 annual fee)

Bank of America Student         $2500

Target Store Card                    $1000

Blue Cash                                $7700

($0 balance on any card)

Should I close down my Capital One card since it has an annual fee and *might* not grow?  Would closing the Target card be a good idea as well since I don't really use it?  My primary concern is it seems like I have too much credit available for a 21 year old college student... It's sort of tempting sometimes to overspend because of the amount of credit available.  Please advise.

Thanks!

There is no reason to hold on to CAP 1 anymore, it won't hurt you in anyway. With the kind of lines you have with citi and Amex, the Cap 1 can never match anything close to that. I would get rid of that cap1 card yesterday.

For target, its upto you, if it doesn't have a AF, just sockdrawer it. Even if you kill it, your available credit wont decrease much.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 3 of 22
monicar2009
New Contributor

How much did citi start you off with? I'm a college student too and got a citiforward at 5200 about a year ago. Maybe I'm not asking for increases enough Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 22
koalas123
Valued Member

Thanks for all the replies!  @monicar2009 I started off with $1200 about a year and a half ago.  After the first six months, I've been getting regular increases on the card by calling in every three months.

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey I am grad student, just wondering when you apply for blue cash did you inform that you were a student? Because right now i don't have a job so I am afraid that they might deny me. 

Message 6 of 22
koalas123
Valued Member

Yeah, for that option I just put down "Student, Employed".

Message 7 of 22
smc733
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey I am grad student, just wondering when you apply for blue cash did you inform that you were a student? Because right now i don't have a job so I am afraid that they might deny me. 

If you're under 21 and unemployed, the law prohibits any CC company from issuing a credit card.

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Current undergrad student right here:

I'm a self employed student (I tutor other students at my University for cash UTT). I pitched this story to BofA and got upgraded from the "student card" to the Americard, plus a nice CLI Smiley Happy  I must add that I have a checking acct. with them, and they asked if I had a recent tax return to show this. I justly stated that I recently started and havent filed taxes yet, plus I had my notes in front of me that outlined my hourly, weekly, monthly, and annual wages from this so I was able to quickly paint a positive financial pictureSmiley Wink I did this all over the phone, no "luv botton" for a risky situation like mine. The best advice I would give to other students is to be PREPARED and ask yourself this question: "would I grant credit to myself if I heard this story?"

I want the BCE badly, but I figured it would be wise to wait until my AAoA is up-to-par before I apply. So what did I do in the meantime? I was pre approved for the AMEX Gold Card, so I bit the AF bullet and got the card. I figure that by paying 1 year of the AF and running a couple K through it every month, i'll show AMEX that I am a respponsible/ trustworthy customer. Thus when it comes time to apply for the BCE (I will still be a student) it will greatly increase my chance of being approved. Hope this helps!

Message 9 of 22
frogfan12
Established Contributor

At 21 my highest CL was $2500. What kind of income do you guys have to be getting these $9K CLs?

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.