Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice? Low Credit History

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice? Low Credit History

Lot of good advice from others already! I think you could get a unsecured from CapOne and I'd go for the secured Discover. Just two cards would be great being you already have one. Three revolving is a great start. Also, look into the installment loan thread that is a great option to help with building your file too! Here is the link to that...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secu...

Message 11 of 17
greent
Frequent Contributor

Oh, I did not know that. Thanks for letting me know. Then I would go for the QSR they were the most generous with thei CLI. Got auto luv after 5 months of 2700. 

Message 12 of 17
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

The OP already got approved for a Cap1 secured card so another Cap1 card is out of the question for another 6 months.
Message 13 of 17
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@rmduhon wrote:
The OP already got approved for a Cap1 secured card so another Cap1 card is out of the question for another 6 months.

Good catch! Several of us missed that. Smiley Happy

I think the OP would have definitely qualified for an unsecured Capital One Platinum, but this is OK too. As two people mentioned, no more Capital One cards for six months. At that point, a Quicksilver might be viable (skip QuicksilverOne and its fee).

I also see that the OP doesn't want to plunk money down on another secured card at this time. Given that, I think that a few months down the road, AMEX might become a viable option… and maybe even Discover unsecured.

Or if the OP's in the mood to to secure another card, Discover would likely still be an option anytime.

OP, what you want to do when it's time to apply for more credit is let one of your cards report a balance between $5 and 8.9% of the limit. The other card should have a statement balance of zero. Use the cards as much as you'd like and pay as often as you need to pay to stay away from your limit. But bring the balances down come statement time.

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you haven't funded the card yet, I would call CapitalOne and ask them if they would allow you to reconsider your application for an unsecured card. You have a high enough FICO that you could get approved for a non-secured through CapitalOne. The QS should be able to get you approved. Not sure why he recommend you to apply for secured.

I would certainly get in with Discover as well if they will approve you. Keep in mind also that your limit when the card is secured they usually give you the limit of your deposit.

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for lack of response! First I want to thank everyone for all their time and great advices. I applied for both secured CapOne and Discover and was approved for both! I'm going to set up the SSLI soon! My question regarding this is how soon should I pay back most the loan? And what's a good starting loan amount?
Message 16 of 17
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Check out the first three posts in this topic:

Adding an installment loan -- the Share Secure technique

Essentially, you open a savings account at Alliant with $500, use it to secure a five-year loan, pay the loan down to $44, and spend the rest of the five years paying off the $44.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.