Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice: Multiple Apps

tag
thobbs
New Contributor

Advice: Multiple Apps

Today I applied for a Chase Freedom card and got approved with a $5k CL.  This is the only inquiry I have had since about a year and a half ago.  I am also interested in applying for the Discover More card.  Should I do that now or wait a few months.  I don't know if Discover will see I have a recent inquiry or my other cards see I have multiple inquiries within a few days of each other and send a red flag up.  Any advice?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice: Multiple Apps

I would do it now.....

Go for the Prime Cards first...like Chase, Discover, CITI before you hit any store cards, like BB, Macys, Dillards, Amazon, etc.....

Message 2 of 12
Smerri1029
Regular Contributor

If it were me I would definitely apply for it now.

What's In My Wallet:American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card, American Express Costco True Earnings, Citi AA Visa, Barclays US Air, Citi Prestige
What's In My Sock Drawer: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx, SME FCU Visa
Message 3 of 12
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

No guarantees, of course, but if it was me, I'd apply now.  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 12
thobbs
New Contributor

Thanks. Will give it a shot!
Message 5 of 12
Amnesia87
Contributor

I'd definately say it's worth trying now...

If they try and bug you about too many recent inq, just recon.

I applied for mine back in December after applying for my Citi Forward (approved 2300), Amex Blue Cash (Declined) and USAA CLI (Declined).

They gave me too many inq, but one phone call for recon and it was approved in all of 5 minutes.

My credit has improved quite a bit now, just got approved for Amex Blue Cash Preferred and Gold Preferred and got a CLI on the Forward.

Starting Score: EX FICO: Unknown EQ FICO: 717 TU (CreditKarma): 713
Current Score: EX FICO: 737 EQ FICO: 752 TU (CreditKarma): 717
Goal Score: EX FICO: 760 EQ FICO: 760 TU (CreditKarma): 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 12
MrCredit
Established Contributor

Personally I would stay away from Discover. They are too conservative. I would go with BOA 

if you are looking for a decent limit. I apped with them with a 740 TU and they gave me $2500 with 

17.9% APR with 2 inq in the last year. My AAoA is about 4.5 years. Clean history. Lots of student loans.

My highest limit was $4k at the time. Just an FYI.

I would app now, but would go with BOA, their Amex Rewards is a pretty solid card, I hate Amex bank 

so I go through them for an Amex. Started with $2500 and 30 days later they increased to $4000. APR is 12.9%

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally I would wait.  We've read here repeatedly what banks like Barclay would do here.  You could create the impression--at least to Discover--that you need a lot of credit in a hurry (more than any one lender is offering you.)

Message 8 of 12
thobbs
New Contributor

I forgot to mention that my revolving credit utilization is under 4%. Now I'm hesitant. I guess I could try and if they reject, just wait until next year. Decisions decisions decisions...
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well....

Today I applied for the PSECU VISA/PLS and was approved for $20k, then I went and applied for the Discover, instant approval of $3500. 

After reading this thread I am a bit scared they'll lower the limit if they do a soft pull before sending the card, would that happen?  Has anyone applied for other cards as well as a Discover and had any issues?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.