Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Needed On Closing Out Capital One Accounts

tag
suzeeh
Established Member

Advice Needed On Closing Out Capital One Accounts

Can someone please give me some advice on how to handle Capital One.  I have Visa and Mastercard, both with a $1,200 limit.  Yesterday I applied for increase online and was declined.  I called and was told my account wasn't up for an increase after calling a backdoor number I had.  They said there was no backdoor number (Yeah, right).  My question is should I close out my accounts because they are not cash back, they charge an AF and are extremely stingly on increases.  I have a Discover with $5K limit and AX with 7K limit after only four months.  I appreciate any input you can offer.  I've learned so much since I've been on this site.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice Needed On Closing Out Capital One Accounts

@suzeeh wrote:

Can someone please give me some advice on how to handle Capital One.  I have Visa and Mastercard, both with a $1,200 limit.  Yesterday I applied for increase online and was declined.  I called and was told my account wasn't up for an increase after calling a backdoor number I had.  They said there was no backdoor number (Yeah, right).  My question is should I close out my accounts because they are not cash back, they charge an AF and are extremely stingly on increases.  I have a Discover with $5K limit and AX with 7K limit after only four months.  I appreciate any input you can offer.  I've learned so much since I've been on this site.  Thank you.

If they're not your oldest tradelines (looks like Target is? I could be wrong! Not sure if your siggy is in any particular order!) then you may. The best way to do it is to make sure it's PIF with a $0, then close out the account. Close the one with the smallest history first, then 6 months later close out the one with the longest history, using the same PIF $0 before closing.

The other option is to call and/or email the EO office and see what they can do with your accounts, like waive the annual fee for life, give you an increase, add rewards, or all or some of the above. If it's still a flat out NO to all of those, closing your accounts may be a good option.

Personally, I don't like AFs either. My Orchard Bank Secured just tranferred over to Cap One, but I'm really interested in seeing what they do with it, plus it's my oldest tradeline, so I sucked it up and decided at this state in my credit I want to keep it.

Message 2 of 4
Hightechredneck
Frequent Contributor

As MUCH as I wanted to torch my Orchard Cards as well as my C1 card, I decided to keep them open. They are my oldest TL's and have reported good history. I have PIF'ed them since I got my Wells Fargo. I'm going to keep them a while just long enough for my other TL's to age, then FLAME ON!

Message 3 of 4
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

@obageegee wrote:

As MUCH as I wanted to torch my Orchard Cards as well as my C1 card, I decided to keep them open. They are my oldest TL's and have reported good history. I have PIF'ed them since I got my Wells Fargo. I'm going to keep them a while just long enough for my other TL's to age, then FLAME ON!

You do realize that if you close your cards in good standing, they will still report on your credit report for 10 years and add to your AAoA. I wouldn't really be concerned about closing them beause they are your oldest account. I would be worried about closing them if it will significantly increase your utilization

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.