Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Needed - Tuition on CC

tag
ednajen
New Contributor

Advice Needed - Tuition on CC

Hi Guys,

I was hoping someone could give some friendly advice. I'm going to grad school for an accelerated program (about a year).  I'm paying out of pocket for whats not covered in my grant. I'm on a payment plan for what I owe and I wanted to run the charges through my CSP for the rewards. I plan to take large chunks biweekly to pay that off, but  there will be times a balance will report.  I was looking to transfer the balance to a  BT card with a good 0% intro apr term.

I app'd for the Citi Diamond Pref card through a mailer I received, but they only approved me for half of what I need at $1500.  Is it worth calling in to ask for more? I read here that you have to wait 6months.  Should I apply for another card? I don't really want to but will if it means I can avoid interest.  I could be going about this wrong...Any advice is greatly appreciated Smiley Happy

Go to cards: Amex BCE , CSP, Discover IT, Amex Gold NPSL
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

Re: Advice Needed - Tuition on CC

Is the 3% balance transfer worth the UR points for you?

If I were you, I would have not apped for the CDP, instead apped for the Freedom. Then, I would pay tuition with the Freedom (same 15 month 0% APR) and transfer the points to CSP. Plus you'll get an additional $100 back due to the sign up bonus after $500 is spent.

If you did not receive the limit you wanted on the Freedom, you could recon and have them move credit from one card to another (depending if you have more than $5k on the CSP because they will not allow a limit lower than $5k).

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.