cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice Requested--Close CSP and Others?

tag
shanac
Frequent Contributor

Re: Advice Requested--Close CSP and Others?

@redpat wrote:

@shanac wrote:

Greetings all.

I'm looking to close some of my credit card accounts soon. I'm all for sock drawering cards but I'm thinking this is a lot of available credit and it just seems easier if I close them instead of having to keep track of charging something on them every so often to keep them open. I've been doing that so far but I want to simplify things. I'd love to have your input. I'll list all of my cards and note the ones I'm thinking of closing. Here goes:

1999 Amex BCP 18K
2007 Capital 1 Quicksilver 12.6K**
2012 Citi Dividend 9.2K*
2013 CSP 20K***  To FU
2013 Freedom 10K
2013 J Crew 4.1K *
2013 Nordstrom 22.5K
2014 Discover IT 7.5K*
2014 Barclay Rewards 24K*
2016 PRG
2015 Amex Blue Cash 16.2K**** Combine into BCP
2015 Banana Republic Luxe Visa 9.3K
2016 Bloomies Amex 8K
2017 CSR 34K (just applied for this card on 2/14 in branch)

Close in red and combine in green.  No sense having a higher freedom I you only spend $1,500 a quarter so just flip the CSP to FU.  Why have a higher CSR?

Store cards, meh!

LOL at "meh". Not a fan I see. Smiley Very Happy I like the remaining three store cards and will keep them for now. I will definitely combine the green.

iPhone. iTypos. iApologize

Current Score: EQ FICO 764 TU FICO 776 EX FICO 753
Goal Score: 800
Message 21 of 24
shanac
Frequent Contributor

@Chris679 wrote:

I would keep Cap One, once a year usage should be enough to keep it open.  I would close any AF card that I don't use and any store card that I don't use. 

Thanks for your input!

I've been on the fence w/the Cap 1 so I will have to give it more thought.

I tend to use my store cards heavily but haven't swiped one this year (I know we're not even 2 full months in Smiley Happy ) I've been all about 'no spend' challenges in 2017 that have caused me to reevaluate my spending habits and the necessity of all of my cards. So the rarely used JCrew will go but the others are keepers for now. 

iPhone. iTypos. iApologize

Current Score: EQ FICO 764 TU FICO 776 EX FICO 753
Goal Score: 800
Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I closed my Ritz Carlton recently after 2 years with no annual fee and 4 travel credits used up.

I pretty much did like you will do and just redistributed the CL to my newest Chase card (Fairmont)

Totally off topic but why did you close your Ritz Carlton? 

Message 23 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

They started charging AF, and offered no retention offer. Plus, The wife was approved for one as well so didn't have a need for two of the same at the proscribed AF.

I may be purging some more Chase cards, myself. Depending on Hyatt card benefit changes I may close that one as well.

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.