Reply
New Contributor
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎01-14-2009
0

Re: Advice: To opt out or not?


Really? You think that rate is permanent and can't be changed? I hope you are right but I thought all my "fixed" rates were permanent........ until all of them were raised. Shows what I know. 

Time can heal all wounds and a low FICO. 


It's permanent as long as you pay everything 100% on time and don't overdraft, or become delinquent in some way.  So far I've been safe.  But you're right, there are conditions. 

 

It keeps me pretty paranoid.  I call every couple of months, just to make sure that it's permanent, and I always get them to repeat what the conditions are.  As long as they have to stick to their contracts, I should be fine.

New Contributor
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎01-14-2009
0

Re: Advice: To opt out or not?


dee wrote:
From what I am hearing and now seeing, nothing is fixed.  They can change rates on any card now to any rate.  No matter what.

Unless the government gives them the right to back out on contracts (wouldn't surprise me), they can't.  You just have to be very careful you are within the rules of the agreement.

Established Member
Posts: 122
Registered: ‎04-27-2007
0

Re: Advice: To opt out or not?

Well, it's fixed for as long as 'they' say it's fixed.  Never for the amount of time 'you' take to pay off the loan/card.  For some it could take them over 40 years!!
New Contributor
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎01-14-2009
0

Re: Advice: To opt out or not?


dee wrote:
Well, it's fixed for as long as 'they' say it's fixed.  Never for the amount of time 'you' take to pay off the loan/card.  For some it could take them over 40 years!!

I've had some for over 4 years.  I mean, they plain-as-day say "the life of the loan."

 

If you are saying they now have the right to void standing contracts, that's a different story.  But I see no evidence for that. For starters, it would be illegal.  They may be acting pretty disgraceful right now, but let's not exagerate.

 

If there is evidence of this actually happening, I'd like to see it.

 

 

Established Member
Posts: 122
Registered: ‎04-27-2007
0

Re: Advice: To opt out or not?

As far as I can see and what I am hearing, they are doing exactly that.  I would post your comment/question on that exact question and see how many respond.  From what I hear/see, they are changing the contracts.
Established Member
Posts: 122
Registered: ‎04-27-2007
0

Re: Advice: To opt out or not?

The Truth In Lending Act only requires that card issuers give you 15 days notice if they're going to change the rate on a "fixed-rate" account. Some states have laws that require a longer notice. But you're still vulnerable to rate changes. A more accurate title would be that they're an "almost fixed-rate" account.

 

Found the above info online. 

Established Contributor
Posts: 795
Registered: ‎04-13-2009
0

Re: Advice: To opt out or not?


dee wrote:
As far as I can see and what I am hearing, they are doing exactly that.  I would post your comment/question on that exact question and see how many respond.  From what I hear/see, they are changing the contracts.

I'm pretty certain that's not the case.  I'm sure if you were to read through the agreement you signed you would find a clause basically stating that the creditor has the right change the terms and conditions of the card (i.e., the interest rate) as it sees fit.  

New Contributor
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎01-14-2009
0

Re: Advice: To opt out or not?


dee wrote:

The Truth In Lending Act only requires that card issuers give you 15 days notice if they're going to change the rate on a "fixed-rate" account. Some states have laws that require a longer notice. But you're still vulnerable to rate changes. A more accurate title would be that they're an "almost fixed-rate" account.

 

Found the above info online. 


 

That's different.  That's a fixed rate account, not a specific balance transer offer.

 

For example, many balance transfer offers were "6 month", "1 year" or "2 years"....  Others (the best ones) were for the life of the loan.  These specify the time period.  They are not simply called "fixed rate".  The time period is explicitly stated.  They can't legally change that time period.

 

New Contributor
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎01-14-2009
0

Re: Advice: To opt out or not?


GomerPyle wrote:

For your information the Credit Card Accountability, Responsibility and Disclosure Act in February 2010 forces CCC to apply payments in excess of the minimum owed to the balance with the highest interest rate, and then to other balances in descending order. I believe this change will affect your calculations.


Do you know if these laws will be applicable to closed accounts?  Or only open accounts?

Moderator
Posts: 15,698
Registered: ‎07-14-2009
0

Re: Advice: To opt out or not?


bogfrog wrote:

dee wrote:

The Truth In Lending Act only requires that card issuers give you 15 days notice if they're going to change the rate on a "fixed-rate" account. Some states have laws that require a longer notice. But you're still vulnerable to rate changes. A more accurate title would be that they're an "almost fixed-rate" account.

 

Found the above info online. 


 

That's different.  That's a fixed rate account, not a specific balance transer offer.

 

For example, many balance transfer offers were "6 month", "1 year" or "2 years"....  Others (the best ones) were for the life of the loan.  These specify the time period.  They are not simply called "fixed rate".  The time period is explicitly stated.  They can't legally change that time period.

 


Like I said before I hope you are right about this. For your sake and others in the same situation.

 

7/09
TU-742
EQ-779

 

Time can heal all wounds and a low FICO. 

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.