Established Member

Re: Advice: To opt out or not?

So I spent some time trying to decide what to do with my citi..keep w/high interest rate or cancel and keep 11.24 rate...I opted out of card.  Why would I spend that kind of interest keeping a card that I did not want to use again anyway???  I called my other CC companies and to transfer to a lower rate they charge you a fee to do that, and that would be an expense again!!!  I was told by citi my rate would stay the same if the prime does not move up until I pay off the card.  These companies all have us by the 'whatever' and we all need to wake up and pay them off and never charge again! 
New Contributor
bogfrog

WHOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have Citi identity monitor, which has a "custom scenario" builder.  I set up the scenario of closing this account, and my equifax score went *UP* 14 points!

Am I at the point where I have so many revolving accounts that closing a few would increase my scores, even though utilization would go up?

I hope this is the case!  I might close a few more! (I have about 15)

Established Contributor
JoeBJay20

bogfrog wrote:

WHOAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have Citi identity monitor, which has a "custom scenario" builder.  I set up the scenario of closing this account, and my equifax score went *UP* 14 points!

Am I at the point where I have so many revolving accounts that closing a few would increase my scores, even though utilization would go up?

I hope this is the case!  I might close a few more! (I have about 15)

Slow down, I don't think that is a simulator for a FICO score.  I can't think of any scenario where losing available revolving credit boosts your FICO score.  Closing the card won't erase it from your credit history or keep the balance from counting towards your utilization.  That being said, there are occasions where cancelling cards is the better financial and credit management option, but rarely if ever does it result in an increased FICO score.  You should never close a card that doesn't have a $0 balance or that you can't afford to PIF immediately.  

Established Member

Wow!!!!!!!!!!  Great info.  I have not done the myfico options to see if I close some will increase my rate.  I sure hope you are right.  I will also do that too, but that seems strange.  yes I cancelled the account, but I still have that balance too!  I would think on equifax and the other credit b's, it will still show a balance?!!  uummm
Established Member

I think JoeB is correct.  It should not increase your FICO score, even though it would make sense to have less availability out there to get into debt.  All of this is interesting, for sure.  I did cancel it, cause of the 29.9 rate..I mean, who is that stupid to accept that option??????? 
Valued Contributor
usmc58555

Unless tha scenario buildr actually uses FICO scoring it is a moot point.

And honestly 14 points is normal score isostasy
Signature line begins:
Credit is not a right, but a business transaction, one that takes into account risk, and charges accordingly based on that risk.
Your credit score is an aspect of your credit profile. Important? yes but just an aspect. Contributing/supplemental information determines the finer point of the deal. Ask any question, respect me not to get mad if the answer is not the affirmation you are looking for,
Established Contributor
JoeBJay20

dee wrote:
I think JoeB is correct.  It should not increase your FICO score, even though it would make sense to have less availability out there to get into debt.  All of this is interesting, for sure.  I did cancel it, cause of the 29.9 rate..I mean, who is that stupid to accept that option??????? 

It's not a bad option for everybody.  You have to keep in mind that there is more to a card than just the interest rate.  If you're a PIFer, the interest rate could be 10000%, you'll never pay it.  It depends on what else the card offers, for many, it could still be worth keeping. 

usmc58555 wrote:
Unless tha scenario buildr actually uses FICO scoring it is a moot point.

And honestly 14 points is normal score isostasy

Isostasy, there's a word you won't here in everyday conversation LOL.

Established Member

I'll take 14 points anytime!!!!!!  Does not happen that often for me, even tho I'm in the high 700's.  
Established Member

bogfrog, How do you get a Citi Monitor?  Do you have to pay for that?  thanks..
New Contributor
bogfrog

+14 is isostacy?  Really?  I've been at exactly the same score--not a point different--for over 8 months. (668Eq/673Exp/656Tu, as always...)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}