Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for Future

tag
PaPaBrad
Established Member

Advice for Future

Currently new to credit and wondering how I should go about improving.

Credit Cards

Discover Student (500CL) - About to hit 6 Months (39% Util)

Student Loans

unSub - 3750 (Due to start payments 2015)

Inquires

Two - (Within this last year)

Scores

EXP-713 

EQ-725 (FICO 700)

TU- 707 (FICO 690)

I'm currently studying Abroad in Japan so not really using my credit card other then book purchases currently. But before coming I used it quite a bit.

Questions: I'd like to ask for a CLI from discover but should I lower my Utilization first? Would is be reasonable to ask for a 1000$ increase maybe more? Does the online application for a CLI become available once you hit 6 months?

Also, once returning to the USA in Feb I'd like to get another card or two. Recommendations? Something with Food and Gas benefits would be good!

Thanks

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice for Future

You should get your utilization reported at less than 10%. CLI of $1000 would be a reasonable request

Who do you bank with?

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 2 of 13
PaPaBrad
Established Member

Currently bank PNC.

I'll work on the Utilization 

Message 3 of 13
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Once you hit the 6 month mark on your current card. Talk to your bank and see if you can get a card from them.

Maybe this one:

https://www.pnc.com/webapp/unsec/Blank.do?siteArea=/pnccorp/PNC/Home/Personal/Credit+Cards/CC/PNC+po...

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 4 of 13
PaPaBrad
Established Member

I've looked into them previously when I was first trying to establish credit (None at the time, Denied). Would 6 months of good history be enough for that card? Any others you may know

I really hope Discover will up my CL as I'd like more buffer. My 6th stament already cut but I don't hit 6 months until the 22nd.

Message 5 of 13
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

@PaPaBrad wrote:

I've looked into them previously when I was first trying to establish credit (None at the time, Denied). Would 6 months of good history be enough for that card? Any others you may know

It would be best to ask PNC this question. I'm sure it also depends on how your cashflow looks in your account. I'd imagine they take that into account as well since you bank with them.

I really hope Discover will up my CL as I'd like more buffer. My 6th stament already cut but I don't hit 6 months until the 22nd.

As for food/gas benefits, the Discover More is good during the 5% months, the Chase Freedom could be a good option if there isn't too much overlap (I'd wait and see how their calendars look for 2013). Other than that, for a good gas/food card that has rewards all year round, I think maybe once you have a year of history you could get a Amex BCE.

Message 6 of 13
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I think if you have good cash flow, the best place to start building credit is your bank. Try them first before you do anything else. It might be a process to get approved. You will have to come at it from an angle like "I want to keep my business here, but if you can't approve me for this card. I will have to take my business elsewhere." A banker should be able to call underwriting and do something for you.

Message 7 of 13
PaPaBrad
Established Member

Thats a good point. I emailed my bank to see what they are looking for.

Also thinking about applying for Walmart and Amazon. I shop quite a bit at amazon but I'd like the Visa cause it can be used anywhere.. Hear that one may be hard to get with a small credit history (6 Months) Reccomendations? 

Message 8 of 13
PaPaBrad
Established Member

I applied but was Denied for the PNC Visa. Called in and she said she will put it up for appeal becuase of my history and too call again in two days. I wonder if this will allow me to explain or its just another overview. They pulled my credit report that had no hard pull in the last year so maybe that will help. My history is short which is the main factor I assume. 6 Months

Message 9 of 13
Elcid89
Contributor

@PaPaBrad wrote:

I applied but was Denied for the PNC Visa. Called in and she said she will put it up for appeal becuase of my history and too call again in two days. I wonder if this will allow me to explain or its just another overview. They pulled my credit report that had no hard pull in the last year so maybe that will help. My history is short which is the main factor I assume. 6 Months

PNC tends to be pretty conservative when it comes to lending, even when dealing with long-term customers. Have you considered joining a credit union?

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.