Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice for next steps

tag
muumike
Regular Contributor

Advice for next steps

Apped/approved for Discover More Saturday. Only other card is a Cap1 secured from 11/11. Rebuilding since then - went from 592 to 642 EX FICO. I have a collection coming off my acct this week from last August that should give me a good bump. Tried apping same day for AMEX Zync (when I did for Discover) but denied because of the collection. Here's my question...

Do I garden a bit and try again once the collection dumps or garden for 6-12 months and then pull the trigger on something?
Also have a student loan reporting paid on time since 3/11, a macys card sock drawered reporting since 05, a charged off BoA with the corresponding lates, and the collection agency for the BoA CC (which I am in the process of dealing with).

Any help would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
namvet
Established Contributor

Re: Advice for next steps

@muumike wrote:
Apped/approved for Discover More Saturday. Only other card is a Cap1 secured from 11/11. Rebuilding since then - went from 592 to 642 EX FICO. I have a collection coming off my acct this week from last August that should give me a good bump. Tried apping same day for AMEX Zync (when I did for Discover) but denied because of the collection. Here's my question...

Do I garden a bit and try again once the collection dumps or garden for 6-12 months and then pull the trigger on something?
Also have a student loan reporting paid on time since 3/11, a macys card sock drawered reporting since 05, a charged off BoA with the corresponding lates, and the collection agency for the BoA CC (which I am in the process of dealing with).

Wait till collection falls off for sure and get at least 12 months history on your Cap1 and your Discover More.  Look at your scores at that point then do your research for the next most likely approval.  Good luck!

Message 2 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@muumike wrote:

2 Things:

1. Get that Macy's card out and go buy something to make sure it's active or to get it active again... They are starting to report credit lines again and if you use it and get it active reporting you could get a CLI pretty likely with no credit pull.

2. I would wait for the collection to fall off and try again with Amex.  Also in 6 months you could look at your first increase with Discover also.

Message 3 of 6
muumike
Regular Contributor

I don't think I can get my Macy's card working again. It shows as open and current, but actuall I don't even have a copy of the card (haven't used it for about 4 years). Theres no way to come back from that right?

Message 4 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@muumike wrote:

I don't think I can get my Macy's card working again. It shows as open and current, but actuall I don't even have a copy of the card (haven't used it for about 4 years). Theres no way to come back from that right?

pull the number from backdoor thread above and make a quick call to them.... if they can pull it up with social, they should be able to tell you in minutes if it's closed or open and if you can get new card and start using or if you would have to apply or have HP to get it again... but I have heard of them opening way later.

Message 5 of 6
muumike
Regular Contributor

Called two years ago (when I was uneducated about all this) and they gave me HP but never any letter or anything. Still reports as open though so I don't know if I should try again and risk them updating it to closed inactive or just leave it.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.