Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed! AU/secured to unsecured

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice needed! AU/secured to unsecured

I need some tips/advice from the pros! I began rebuilding my credit in Jan of this year. I've gone from 520's scores to 600-610's since mid January. I have a cap 1 secured card and just received the 5th statement for it, $200 CL, and a Fingerhut account, started with freshstart did that whole thing now I have the revolving account with a $200 CL but don't use it bc their prices are outrageous.. I just have it for the TL. I can not afford any other secured cards right now bc I can't find any that are partially secured (besides cap 1) or that require less than $300 minimum deposit. 

My grandmother has excellent credit. Her and I got an auto loan together (my car) through cap 1 auto, back in Jan when my credit was still around 520's. I am the co buyer/signer on the loan, shes first on the loan. She applied and was approved for a cap 1 QS1 card with a $3,000 limit but the card is for me. I will be an AU but i'm curious if that is going to help me any? The only 2 reasons I receive for being denied an unsecured card when I apply is Too few revolving accounts and too few positive accounts reporting. I only have 3 accounts car loan, cap 1 secured and fingerhut and they're all positive.. I do have around 7 medical collections on my CR that aren't going any where any time soon unfortunately. SO... will me being an AU appear on my credit that I now have 3 revolving accoutns? Cap 1 secured, Cap 1 QS1 (AU) and Fingerhut? Will it report to my credit as if it was my card? I added my husband as an AU to my cap 1 secured it it reports to his credit just like it does mine. He got a 12 pt bump when the card was added. TIA!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice needed! AU/secured to unsecured

Anyone? Anyone? lol Smiley Wink 

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice needed! AU/secured to unsecured

@Anonymous wrote:

I need some tips/advice from the pros! I began rebuilding my credit in Jan of this year. I've gone from 520's scores to 600-610's since mid January. I have a cap 1 secured card and just received the 5th statement for it, $200 CL, and a Fingerhut account, started with freshstart did that whole thing now I have the revolving account with a $200 CL but don't use it bc their prices are outrageous.. I just have it for the TL. I can not afford any other secured cards right now bc I can't find any that are partially secured (besides cap 1) or that require less than $300 minimum deposit. 

My grandmother has excellent credit. Her and I got an auto loan together (my car) through cap 1 auto, back in Jan when my credit was still around 520's. I am the co buyer/signer on the loan, shes first on the loan. She applied and was approved for a cap 1 QS1 card with a $3,000 limit but the card is for me. I will be an AU but i'm curious if that is going to help me any? The only 2 reasons I receive for being denied an unsecured card when I apply is Too few revolving accounts and too few positive accounts reporting. I only have 3 accounts car loan, cap 1 secured and fingerhut and they're all positive.. I do have around 7 medical collections on my CR that aren't going any where any time soon unfortunately. SO... will me being an AU appear on my credit that I now have 3 revolving accoutns? Cap 1 secured, Cap 1 QS1 (AU) and Fingerhut? Will it report to my credit as if it was my card? I added my husband as an AU to my cap 1 secured it it reports to his credit just like it does mine. He got a 12 pt bump when the card was added. TIA!

Yes, being added as an AU will help you and it will report on your credit profile giving you a boost.  If she has other cards that she can add you on, you should do so also...

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.