Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed CSP Visa to MC or United Plus Visa Sig

tag
newstar87
Established Member

Advice needed CSP Visa to MC or United Plus Visa Sig

I got CSP Visa already, is ready to spend money to get 40k bonus points. However, I heard I can PC this to MC. Is it worthy to convert it to MC? If I change it to MC now (before get bonus points), will I still be eligible to get 40k bonus points on MC?

Second question: if I get 40k points on CSP Visa, and then PC it to MC. Later I apply for CSP Visa again, will I be still eligible to get 40k points?

It seems that I can spend less on united Plus Explorer Visa Sig to get 30k points ( plus additional 5k points by adding authorized user) by spending only $1k. In the CSP case, it requires me to spend at least 3k to get 40k bonus miles. Is it worth to spend $3k on CSP to get 40k points rather than only $1k on United Plus Explorer to get 35k points?

Please share your thoughts on these 2 great cards Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice needed CSP Visa to MC or United Plus Visa Sig

If you app the United in branch you can get the 50k offer for 2k spend instead of what is listed on the site. 

Message 2 of 5
newstar87
Established Member

So how long should I wait before app again for the United Explorer Card? 120 days or 180 days?

Message 3 of 5
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

@newstar87 wrote:

I got CSP Visa already, is ready to spend money to get 40k bonus points. However, I heard I can PC this to MC. Is it worthy to convert it to MC? If I change it to MC now (before get bonus points), will I still be eligible to get 40k bonus points on MC?

Second question: if I get 40k points on CSP Visa, and then PC it to MC. Later I apply for CSP Visa again, will I be still eligible to get 40k points?

It seems that I can spend less on united Plus Explorer Visa Sig to get 30k points ( plus additional 5k points by adding authorized user) by spending only $1k. In the CSP case, it requires me to spend at least 3k to get 40k bonus miles. Is it worth to spend $3k on CSP to get 40k points rather than only $1k on United Plus Explorer to get 35k points?

Please share your thoughts on these 2 great cards Smiley Happy

Some people have had the luck with converting their CSP Visa to a CSP World MC (after getting the 40k on the Visa) and then re-applying a few months later for the CSP Visa again. Others have not. I am going to try this in two months, as I recently converted my CSP Visa to a CSP WMC. Sometimes Chase features the CSP WMC on their site and you can directly app for it. In that case, you would definitely be able to get the 40k again because they are considered different cards. Even if you apply online with this card, my mom had the luck of going straight into the branch and knocking the sign-up bonus requirement to $2k spending.

As far as whether it's worth spending $3k for 40k miles is up to you. Personally, the 1:1 transfer is VERY valuable for me to transfer it to Hyatt/Southwest/UA, so it is definitely worth it. It will take me more than $3k to get up to 40k points--that's for sure! Also, for you, this will be valuable with the Explorer as well because the UA card will allow you to check your bags for free (well unless you include the annual fee which is waived the first year).

I set up my parents with the combination of the Chase Freedom, UA Explorer, and CSP two months ago and they value it a lot. They are able to mostly spend on the CSP/Freedom and then transfer their points for their UA flights and get baggage taken care of, etc. Plus just for their sign-up bonuses, they had a total of 105k points just from those three cards!

I PM'd you a link that will allow you to go directly to a 50k app for the UA Explorer. It also allows you to get 5,000 additional points by simply adding an authorized user (one max).

Message 4 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@newstar87 wrote:

I got CSP Visa already, is ready to spend money to get 40k bonus points. However, I heard I can PC this to MC. Is it worthy to convert it to MC?

Only you can answer that.  Worth is always highly subjective regardless of topic.  Compare the Visa benefits to MC and decide based on how well it suits you.

@newstar87 wrote:

Is it worth to spend $3k on CSP to get 40k points rather than only $1k on United Plus Explorer to get 35k points?

Again, worth is subjective.  It was worth it for me to do both though I got the 50K offer on the UMPE.  I'm also hitting the $25K spend bonus for another 10K miles.  YMMV as with any subjective matter.

You need to carefully review both cards to see which is the best fit if only one is an option for you.  Don't just look at the sign up bonuses.  Consider your spend categories, preferences, etc.

@newstar87 wrote:

So how long should I wait before app again for the United Explorer Card? 120 days or 180 days?

There's no fixed timeframe for everyone out there.  Some can app in a shorter amount of time while others need to wait longer.  Everyone's credit is not identical.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.