Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed for next credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice needed for next credit card

Hello, I'm new to the forums, needing some advice!

I'm planning on purchasing an engagement ring shortly. Rather than financing with a jewerly store credit card, I was thinking about applying for another credit card (better perks, better rate, long term use). My plan is to get a credit card with 12~ months 0% APR and just pay it off during that time.

I currently have the Bank of America Cash Rewards Card and the Chase Freedom Card. I pay off my balances immediately (no interest inccured) and I have a credit score around 750. An ideal card would give me a nice signup reward, give me rewards on purchases, and would be a card I still use after I pay off my engagement ring. I don't really travel so miles wouldn't be useful at the moment unless they could be redeemed for other things (statement credit, gift cards, etc).

There's a few cards I've ran into like Chase Sapphire Preferred, Capital One QuickSilver, Citi Double Cash, Amex Blue Cash, etc. I'm not completely sure what card to go with and wanted some insight on your opinions.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Advice Needed for Next Credit Card

Citi Double Cash or Fidelity Amex would be my 2 choices for the full 2% but I don't think Fidelity is 0% for purchase, just BT

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice needed for next credit card

Yeah, 0% on purchases for 12+ months would be a requirement. The only thing about the Citi Double Cash is that it doesn't come with an initial signup bonus, which makes other cards such as the Capital One Quicksilver look more appealing.
Message 3 of 7
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

CSP has not intro apr so i would look away there. Next best options would be cap one qs the visa edition with no af and 100 dollar sign up bonus or the double cash card at 2% back and no sign up bonus. You would have to spend 20k on the double cash to make up the difference of the 100 dollar sign up bonus. Cap one does do the triple pull but no hp for cli im not sure about citi.

Also, im not a huge fan of the BCE however, its just the best amex option for me as a back up to my sallie mae.

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 4 of 7
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yeah, 0% on purchases for 12+ months would be a requirement. The only thing about the Citi Double Cash is that it doesn't come with an initial signup bonus, which makes other cards such as the Capital One Quicksilver look more appealing.

There was a thread a couple of days ago comparing the Citi Double Cash to the Quicksilver. Taking the $100 bonus for the Quicksilver into account, people found out you would have to spend roughtly $18,000 to make up the $100 bonus on the extra .5%. I was considering getting the Double Cash until then, but I went with the Quicksilver. Here is the thread.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Leaning towards the Capital One Quicksilver card now, I'm going to look into it a little more. Thanks for the replies!
Message 6 of 7
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@barthooper wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Yeah, 0% on purchases for 12+ months would be a requirement. The only thing about theCiti Double Cash is that it doesn't come with an initialsignup bonus, which makes other cards such as the Capital One Quicksilver look more appealing.

There was a thread a couple of days ago comparing the Citi Double Cash to the Quicksilver. Taking the $100 bonus for the Quicksilver into account, people found out you would have to spend roughtly $18,000 to make up the $100 bonus on the extra .5%. I was considering getting the Double Cash until then, but I went with the Quicksilver. Here is the thread.

Your right but you are basing it on your spend the OP didn't say what his average spend is.  For me I spend an average 3-4k a month so in my situation in less than 6 months the Citi DC comes out on top and beats the current sign bonus.  Now the CSP which I do have would take a lot longer to out spend.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.