cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed on closing or not closing a credit card.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice needed on closing or not closing a credit card.

Thank you both so much for all your input.  I just wanted to make sure I had thought it all through and didn't make another poor choice like when I decided to apply for it Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Advise needed on closing or not closing a credit card.

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Close it and be done you'll get the best benefit from the card now ....up to 10 years of good reporting 

My journey, I have another question for you.  I am gardening until next Jan but hope at sometime to apply for one of these chase cards I get in the mail every week.   If I close the account, does it still count in 5/24 rule? Or is it only on open accounts?

Looking at your sig no one card closed won't matter and hurt scores ....you have more than enough 

Closing the card will have no effect related to the Chase 5/24 rule because the unwritten rule is......

5 accounts opened in 24 months 

Sorry for the late response but I'm here now ....Lol for a minute 

Look at your oldest HP on CR's and when will it fall off and count accounts from there....Make sense? 

The 5/24 goes off the hp, not when the card hits the report? So basically my first card was March 2015, and I have opened 8 accounts, most of them August 2015, so at best for Chase to lose 4 of those to qualify with Chase I need to wait until August 2017?

Ok I don't want to confuse you sooooo

The new accounts are the rule but if you look at HP's you'll see it is a result of new account approved or not by date

So even if you weren't approved the HP is still there 

Counting HP's just reassures how many apps you've done in 24 months 

Because Chase won't say well you applied for 5 cards in 24 months but only four were approved ....they'll say and see 5 account/attempts in 24 month and base the decision on that 

I hope this makes sense? If not we'll talk it through until your golden 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 12 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Close it and be done you'll get the best benefit from the card now ....up to 10 years of good reporting 

My journey, I have another question for you.  I am gardening until next Jan but hope at sometime to apply for one of these chase cards I get in the mail every week.   If I close the account, does it still count in 5/24 rule? Or is it only on open accounts?

Looking at your sig no one card closed won't matter and hurt scores ....you have more than enough 

Closing the card will have no effect related to the Chase 5/24 rule because the unwritten rule is......

Look at your oldest HP on CR's and when will it fall off and count accounts from there....Make sense? 

The 5/24 goes off the hp, not when the card hits the report? So basically my first card was March 2015, and I have opened 8 accounts, most of them August 2015, so at best for Chase to lose 4 of those to qualify with Chase I need to wait until August 2017?

Forgot to add.....Ummmm don't shoot the messenger but yes looks like 2017 from what you describe 

MJ ducks for cover behind bushes 

Pls don't shoot 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Forgot to add.....Ummmm don't shoot the messenger but yes looks like 2017 from what you describe 

Pls don't shoot 

Got it! Thank you so much,  I see why our garden friends luv your input  so much, you are knowledgeable.  So, they don't follow ficos rule of not affecting after a year, it's the cbs rule of two years Smiley Sad 

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Pls don't shoot 

Got it! Thank you so much,  I see why our garden friends luv your input  so much, you are knowledgeable.  So, they don't follow ficos rule of not affecting after a year, it's the cbs rule of two years Smiley Sad 

PS: I did close it, oddly enough since I'm new to ccs, I feel an odd loss over a card I never used, lol.  

Message 15 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Pls don't shoot 

Yes yes yes you got it 

And thank you for the compliment but truly I'm just paying it forward as others did for me (blushing)

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 16 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

Pls don't shoot 

PS: I did close it, oddly enough since I'm new to ccs, I feel an odd loss over a card I never used, lol.  

Girl pls Ha ha ha let that loss go and keep moving forward 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.