Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice needed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice needed

hi everyone,   

I applied for three cards in Nov 2014 . I was approved for all of them . I am going to apply for a car loan in January 2016 . I am completing my 6 month period since my last apps . I have a trip planned in November 2015 , I wanted a travel card for this trip but can also manage without it . Should I wait till the car loan ? Will my 1 app affect my score ?  

My my profile is below . 

Discover $1500
Amex BCE $9000
Chase freedom $10000
Bofa cash - $5900
Cit double cash - $5000.

Credit score - 740 (Discover Fico)
Citi Fico - 735 (citi fico)

Credit history - 1.5 years.

Income - 120k+ p.a

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Advice needed

bump

Message 2 of 6
icyhot
Valued Contributor

If it's been six months since your last app I don't think one inquiry in that time will affect you that badly. Your income and scores alone will qualify you for a decent auto loan so I wouldn't stress too much
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want to apply for the card now, go ahead. You should not have any issues with the car loan by having 1 additional inquiry.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

hi everyone,   

I applied for three cards in Nov 2014 . I was approved for all of them . I am going to apply for a car loan in January 2016 . I am completing my 6 month period since my last apps By the time of Auto loan app, your current CC app will be aged at 7 months if you apply in this May and will have minimal affects . I have a trip planned in November 2015 , I wanted a travel card for this trip but can also manage without it If you do end up applying for a CC, a card with MR will give you much needed MR boost by the time Nov comes. Apart from 6 months age, you would have already accumulated reasonable MR that can be used for travel or hotel stays etc. Should I wait till the car loan ? Will my 1 app affect my score ?  Please also note considering your current app grace periode, by Jan 2016, you would have had 1 CC app in last 7 months but technically nothing in the last 6 months. At 12 months mark, any CC related INQ are non-factoral in scoring. 

My my profile is below . 

Discover $1500
Amex BCE $9000
Chase freedom $10000
Bofa cash - $5900
Cit double cash - $5000.

Income - 120k+ p.a

By the time you apply for an Auto loan,it would have been 7 months on your current CC application, assuming you apply in for CC this May. While it will bring your score down around 5-9 points at this early stage, the 7 months time will shoot you up higher than where you are now standing. Of course your utilization and many other factors will play a role in your scores and profile. Your this most recent CC app will not have drastic effects on your scores.

You may also briefly inq from your possible lender if they use Auto Enhanced version of FICO and which one. Auto loans are secured  by a collateral that is being financed, so they are relatively relaxed. I would consider a CU for such loans.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

hi everyone,   

I applied for three cards in Nov 2014 . I was approved for all of them . I am going to apply for a car loan in January 2016 . I am completing my 6 month period since my last apps . I have a trip planned in November 2015 , I wanted a travel card for this trip but can also manage without it . Should I wait till the car loan ? Will my 1 app affect my score ?  

My my profile is below . 

Discover $1500
Amex BCE $9000
Chase freedom $10000
Bofa cash - $5900
Cit double cash - $5000.

Income - 120k+ p.a

Auto Loans are secured loans ... and thus pretty easy to get.  You'll usually get prime rates over 700 FICO.

With a 740 you have plenty of buffer room to get a card and then get an auto loan and still get Prime APR... and your FICO will still be sitting above 720 after the dust settles.

And after a couple of months when the "Installment Loan" FICO score bonus comes through, I wouldn't be surprised to see you pushed over 750

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.