cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on 2nd Credit Card?

tag
akeith7

Advice on 2nd Credit Card?

Hi guys, reading these forums has helped me gain knowledge of what "Credit" is. Lol. Anyways, I'm 19 years old coming up to my 2nd year in college. My first year I took out deffered student loans, private & federal, and they have showed up on my credit report and I guess I've gained credit because of them. I have a 655 from Experian (still shocked) with a ten month credit history, I believe, and have been trying to get maybe 2 or 3 credit cards to begin building credit. I applied for Capital One Platinum (denied), Citi bank Student( denied), Discover student (denied, even though they sent me like 5 offers in the mail), First Financial (still waiting to hear back), and Capital One Secured(approved, sent in deposit, will probably have 200 credit limit, haven't received it yet). I have a total of 6 hard credit inquiries on my report, but I want to apply for at least one more maybe a store card. What do you all suggest, especially with the new under 21 law?I want to know for sure that I can get the next one I apply for so I won't have another unnecessary inquiry on my report. Please and thanks guys : - )

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Advice on 2nd Credit Card?

Are you sure you applied for the capital one platinum with average credit, and not excellent credit, because I got accepted for that with nothing on my report but federal student loans. Try the capital one journey card, that is supposed to be crazy easy to get. I've had no luck with store cards, but from what I've read the target card is supposed to be one of the easier ones (if you shop there it's worth it). 

And don't feel bad, I was denied for the citi forward and the discover student cards (and I also received a million mail offers from them) 

Also remember with the cap1 secured, you can always add money to up your limit when you feel like it. 

Message 2 of 10
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

I would call cap one and tell them you meant to apply for the journey instead of the platinum one. They approved me for the journey along with discover more with no credit history.

Try and see if you can recon the decision calling the backdoor numbers.

Besides that, get to be AU in someone elses acc(your parents) to earn some history and average age of accs.

I´m 19 as well and no one has ever asked me to verify income though. . . just my enrollment and info.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 3 of 10
HenryJumbo
Regular Contributor

If you want a sure shot more guaranteed than a drunk girl who's mad at her boyfriend, alone in your room, the Cash Rewards for Newcomers is your card. 

Starting Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 757 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Current Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Goal Score:     EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
In my wallet:  $16,000  $8,000
Message 4 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

You have no negatives on your credit report at all?

How many total Student Loans do you have (Private and Federal)?

All the Student loans are on deferment? What is balance of each?

Do you work? What income are you using on the apps?

CALL AND CANCEL FIRST PREMIER!!!

Message 5 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@HenryJumbo wrote:

If you want a sure shot more guaranteed than a drunk girl who's mad at her boyfriend, alone in your room, the Cash Rewards for Newcomers is your card. 

@Anonymous @ this

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 10
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@akeith7 wrote:

Hi guys, reading these forums has helped me gain knowledge of what "Credit" is. Lol. Anyways, I'm 19 years old coming up to my 2nd year in college. My first year I took out deffered student loans, private & federal, and they have showed up on my credit report and I guess I've gained credit because of them. I have a 655 from Experian (still shocked) with a ten month credit history, I believe, and have been trying to get maybe 2 or 3 credit cards to begin building credit. I applied for Capital One Platinum (denied), Citi bank Student( denied), Discover student (denied, even though they sent me like 5 offers in the mail), First Financial (still waiting to hear back), and Capital One Secured(approved, sent in deposit, will probably have 200 credit limit, haven't received it yet). I have a total of 6 hard credit inquiries on my report, but I want to apply for at least one more maybe a store card. What do you all suggest, especially with the new under 21 law?I want to know for sure that I can get the next one I apply for so I won't have another unnecessary inquiry on my report. Please and thanks guys : - )

If you shop at Walmart, Amazon.com, or JCPenny Ap for there store card via GE Money. They are easy to get great for CLI's just use the card pay it on time. They give CLI's usually every 4 months, and will do it even if you have a small balance 10-30% of your limit perhaps more. Some times even Auto CLI's but will take longer. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 7 of 10
akeith7

Hey guys, so just for an update. I have YET to receive my Capital One card.. . GRR. But in the meantime I applied for the WF College Cash back card exactly one week ago and received it in the mail TODAY for a $700 credit limit. Capital One Journey denied me because I had already been approved recently for a Capital One card. So I will have one Capital One Secured with 200 limit and WF College Cash Back with 700. YAY I'm excited. But I will be smart too... Oh yea by the way I also just opened up a auto loan recently in  both me and my mother's name. So hopefully these three new accounts on my credit should increase well over the next year. Thanks for the input guys Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
FitNutrix
Valued Member

Hey Akeith7 just thought I would let you know that C1 secured credit card does not report as such. It actually reports as a regular credit card so as long as you increase your CL to about $1,000 and garden you should see major increases in your credit score very soon. I know because I have C1 secured card and it's at $1,000 ($200 Cl from C1 $800 Cl from me) also expecting them to increase my limit to $1,300 as I am seeing on other forms that they are being a little giving with CLI.

As of right now I'm with you but I only have C1 credit card and my student loans Smiley Happy which my scores are as follows at the bottom. I have had my C1 card for about 2 months treating it well 1-9% UTI and paying every month on time seeing my score go up every time I refresh my equifax credit score. I think one CC is good enought just keeping the UTI down low as possible always under 30% and just gardening my score should be pretty high by the time i apply for CF in mid 2013.

Future card Chase Freedom seeing I have there College checking Acc.

Starting Score: EQ: 651 FICO TU: 615 FICO EX: 629 FAKO (08/06/2012)
Current Score: EQ: 533 FICO TU: 523 FICO EX: 494 FICO
Goal Score: 700+ Across Board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 10
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@akeith7 wrote:

Hey guys, so just for an update. I have YET to receive my Capital One card.. . GRR. But in the meantime I applied for the WF College Cash back card exactly one week ago and received it in the mail TODAY for a $700 credit limit. Capital One Journey denied me because I had already been approved recently for a Capital One card. So I will have one Capital One Secured with 200 limit and WF College Cash Back with 700. YAY I'm excited. But I will be smart too... Oh yea by the way I also just opened up a auto loan recently in  both me and my mother's name. So hopefully these three new accounts on my credit should increase well over the next year. Thanks for the input guys Smiley Happy

Did you get the WF student cash back card, or their regular one? I got the student one when I was fixing the fraud alert on my cap1 card. The only thing I don't like about it is that they don't let you redeem cash back until you earn $25, which will take forever with me because I use my cap1 card for everything to get a higher 50% bonus. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.