Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on AMEX CLI / APR change when credit report changes positively

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on AMEX CLI / APR change when credit report changes positively

I just applied and was instantly approved for the American Express Blue Cash Preferred just this past week; I got the email yesterday that the card had shipped but haven't received it yet. My credit limit was $1,000 and got the highest APR, around 23%. Mind you, I had one derogatory (charged off credit card that was due to fall in August) and my FICO 8  Experian (which AMEX DID PULL) was 634 (I was very lucky to have gotten approved.

However, I just got an alert that my Experian FICO went up. The derogatory was deleted (I contested that the way the derogatory was listed, it seemed as if my derogatory was only 3 years old instead of about 6. I guess it worked. My credit report is now spotless and my FICO 8 Experian went from 634 (well, 630, because that's what it was after the AMEX HP, after I was approved) to 749. Would it be possible to later on ask for a CLI/APR reduction based on this new data? I know I could ask in about 60 days for a 3x CLI, but since my entire credit report has changed dramatically, perhaps it could garner a better overall package deal.

(Funny enough, my Transunion FICO went from 710 (clean credit report, but 38% util because I let the statement cut high (I always Pay in Full)) to a 795 with 4% util. Wish everyone would use my TU haha.)

4 REPLIES 4
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Advice on AMEX CLI / APR change when credit report changes positively

Congrats on your approval. I would just wait for your 60 day cli window , no need to try and rush it. With scores like yours you will see the fruit soon enough. Like they say though scores aren't everything so enjoy your approval, itll grow in no timeSmiley Happy
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you PIF why do you care about the APR? Just curious.

They pull my fico score almost every month. They'll catch it. Their customer service is the best in the game. Once you have your card and account set up just log in and use the chat box. It's all live chat and they can do almost anything that can be sorted on the phone. Unless you like the phone. But seriously Amex customer service crushes everyone else in the game. 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@aaronc

I don't plan on ever carrying a balance, but I was curious to see if my overall credit report would merit a reduction of interest rate based on my new creditworthiness. I will admit that part is more of an ego boost, haha.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

oh trust me I get it. The whole thing is a game to me of me vs credit. Always want to come out on top. I signed up for Amex Blue Everyday when they had a 15 month 0% intro which recently expired. I use this card as a daily driver for groceries and gas when Discover is not in the 5% category. 

I'll say from personal experience that Amex seems to be much more of a slow cautious giant when starting out. Took me 6 months to even get a CLI. Seems like once I got past about 6 months with them they began to take me seriously and have been throwing crap at me nonstop. Started on the Green Charge + Amex Blue Cash in August of 2015 and by this time last year I had Amex Gold Biz, Gold Delta (upgraded to Platinum now) and recently took an offer to upgrade to Amex Blue Preferred. 

Like I said their chat help is awesome, especially if you work at a computer, just load the window while you're checking emails and see what they can do. Never have had to wait and they'll try anything you want. Unlike a lot of other chat help - it goes beyond just answering questions, they've got about as much power as the phone reps since they can verify your ID through the chat. The only thing they won't really discuss are CLI's for whatever reason. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.