Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on AT&T/autopay. ***UPDATE***

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Advice on AT&T/autopay. ***UPDATE***

Hey, some of you know that I reached a milestone post BK in the sense that I got approved for an apartment. Well, the utility set up went fine, and they didn't require deposit or anything, but I went to AT&T , and they ran my credit (for u-verse/Internet ) and I fell under the "medium credit", which didn't require any deposits or upfront fees, but they would ONLY go thru with the service and required me to do autopay. 

I don't do autopay with anyone, and I'm hesitant. Should I be? They can't get around it, and wouldn't go thru with the transaction because I said no forget it. I want autopay to be my decision not a mandatory thing for service. Should I do it?   I'm bummed by that. Is it that big of a deal? If I decide, which card should I use for it....Navy, Cap1, or Barclays? Thanks 

**UPDATE**.....so today I decided to just suck it up and go with the autopay. I went to my local AT&T store, and this super nice guy helped me. I told him the story about medium credit and autopay, and he says..." I can get around that". I'm like what?! They told me I had no choice! He says, " if I do everything regarding placing the order by phone, and it's me doing it vs you, I'll get it taken care of without another HP to your credit". Sure enough, long story short, I got what I wanted with no money upfront or deposits, and they are mailing me my bills to my new address!! They also looked up my old address and saw I had them before with good payment history too. So, it all worked out, and I'm very happy!! Yay!! Smiley Happy 

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Advice on AT&T and autopay.

I don't know what real protection auto-pay gives them, since you can cancel it at any time.   But for you, if they won't budge, just need to decide how much you want the service vs how much this will cramp your budgeting.    If it is a small part of your spend, I would just do it (if I wanted the service!).  I use auto-pay for everything as it saves me time, but if you need the flexibility to decide whether to pay vendor A or vendor B this week, and pay the other a little late, you may decide you can live without AT&T,

Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you do auto pay on a CC?
Message 3 of 26
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

It'll be $66 a month plus tax for a 12 month contract. I don't know... Maybe I don't need tv. I'll just hook up my Dvd and watch movies instead . I really just need Internet, and I think Verizon offers Internet , I'm not sure.
I guess I'll look into time Warner
Message 4 of 26
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Nixon, yes they said debit card, CC, or checking account. I declined all, lol.
Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would just put it on a CC and then remove it after a month
Message 6 of 26
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Just something to keep in mind if you go with another cable company they will probably pull your report also , and may come back with same response that you fall into medium credit bucket and will have to autopay. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 7 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

Just something to keep in mind if you go with another cable company they will probably pull your report also , and may come back with same response that you fall into medium credit bucket and will have to autopay. 

Probably, but you can luck out.   My company (bg telco) decided to increase market share in various places by dropping the requirement (or reducing the amount) for a deposit for people with certain levels of credit.   

But again, there's nothing wrong with auto-pay unless you really need the flexibility more than you need the service.   Auto-pay on due date works well.

Message 8 of 26
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Thank you everyoneSmiley Happy
Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have Verizon which I just got in July when I moved and they required a credit card on file as well. I just put it on the barclays and make sure to read every statement to ensure they dont jack me. Its nice to get rewards for a bill you have to pay no matter what. Mine is only 40 a month though since i just have internet and use apple tv.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.