Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Apps

tag
ReBuildingAgn
Regular Contributor

Advice on Apps

So I'm not sure what I should apply for this year. Currently, I'm in the process of getting my ducks in order so that I can apply for a mortgage next month. I've been in the rebuilding stage for about 3 years now. Thanks to these forums I've had significant score increases over the years. Lots of baddies were GW'd, PFD'd, and generally fell off. I have 5 medical collections that will be deleted in the next few weeks as they haven't proved proof that I owe them anything (I received 1 deletion letter today). Even with the collections on my report (they are all over 5 years old) my scores are 625 EQ FICO, 709 TU FICO, and 709 EX (Lender Pull).

Cards and limits I current Have:

AMEX ($600) that's in the OASIS program right now. I've been in the program for about 3 years now.

Credit One ($750)

First Premier ($450)

Capital One MC ($1250)

Kohls ($1000)

I have small automatic payments to all except Kohls and I PIF each month. The Kohl's card has a zero balance.

With my increase in scores I know I want to apply for an Amex green in September/October of this year, but I do need a card with a higher CL so that I can close the Credit One and Premier CC's. Those cards were great for rebuilding, but the small CL's aren't beneficial. Any suggestions on a second card to go for?

;Starting Score: Low 500s FICO Aug 2008
Current Score: EQ 668 EX 723 TU 723 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 720s Across the Board! Almost there!

Cap1 NHR ($1250), GE Rooms2Go ($4k), WalMart Discover ($3250), Barclay's Rewards MC ($2k), Amex BCE ($5K), Kohl's ($1K), Chase Freedom ($3K), Discover More ($1K)
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Advice on Apps

@ReBuildingAgn wrote:

So I'm not sure what I should apply for this year. Currently, I'm in the process of getting my ducks in order so that I can apply for a mortgage next month. I've been in the rebuilding stage for about 3 years now. Thanks to these forums I've had significant score increases over the years. Lots of baddies were GW'd, PFD'd, and generally fell off. I have 5 medical collections that will be deleted in the next few weeks as they haven't proved proof that I owe them anything (I received 1 deletion letter today). Even with the collections on my report (they are all over 5 years old) my scores are 625 EQ FICO, 709 TU FICO, and 709 EX (Lender Pull).

AMEX ($600) that's in the OASIS program right now. I've been in the program for about 3 years now.

Credit One ($750)

First Premier ($450)

Capital One MC ($1250)

Kohls ($1000)

I have small automatic payments to all except Kohls and I PIF each month. The Kohl's card has a zero balance.

With my increase in scores I know I want to apply for an Amex green in September/October of this year, but I do need a card with a higher CL so that I can close the Credit One and Premier CC's. Those cards were great for rebuilding, but the small CL's aren't beneficial. Any suggestions on a second card to go for?

I would wait until Jan. 2013  to app for anything. Get some good history with the cards you have. As for what card I would try for a AMEX revolver since you;ve been solid with them in rebuilding for 3 years.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 17
ReBuildingAgn
Regular Contributor

The First Premier and Credit One accounts I've had since 2009. The Kohl's and Capital one cards I've had for 2 years this year. Do you think I should try for the Amex Zync?

Cap1 NHR ($1250), GE Rooms2Go ($4k), WalMart Discover ($3250), Barclay's Rewards MC ($2k), Amex BCE ($5K), Kohl's ($1K), Chase Freedom ($3K), Discover More ($1K)
Message 3 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@ReBuildingAgn wrote:

The First Premier and Credit One accounts I've had since 2009. The Kohl's and Capital one cards I've had for 2 years this year. Do you think I should try for the Amex Zync?

I think you'd be fine for the Zync with 2 years solid history.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 17
ReBuildingAgn
Regular Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@ReBuildingAgn wrote:

Message 5 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@ReBuildingAgn wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@ReBuildingAgn wrote:

DId you try for it?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 17
ReBuildingAgn
Regular Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@ReBuildingAgn wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@ReBuildingAgn wrote:

DId you try for it?

No. I'm applying for a mortgage next month, so no apps for me Smiley Happy I'm working on my credit plan for the year. I know I'm going to have to get rid of the First Premier and Credit One cards this year. My credit has come up enough that I can ditch those cards. Plus my Amex will keep my AAoA up.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReBuildingAgn wrote:

Credit One ($750)

First Premier ($450)

Capital One MC ($1250)

Kohls ($1000)

Do you already have a bank or credit union that you plan to apply with for the mortgage? If you are applying for a mortgage through a credit union...you can see if they will use the same pull for a credit card as well. 

Once you apply for the mortgage and are approved. If you want to apply for some credit cards I would personally recommend the Barclays Rewards Card 15 months 0% APR for purchases and balance transfers. They pull TU and with your score plus clean record soon they won't have an issue approving you. Also apply for the Walmart Card....with your TU score you will more than likely get the Walmart Discover one. One key benefit is the free TU score monthly Smiley Wink

Since you are in with Amex and your score is 700+ you should try the Blue Cash Everyday or Preferred if you plan to use it a lot or Blue Sky card. Both come with 12 months 0% APR for purchases.

Depending on where you live if Chase and Citi pull EX then I would recommend the Freedom and one of the Citi Cards with 21 months 0% APR offer.

Oh and don't forget to become a member of DCU for the free EQ score monthly plus apply for their credit card too since it will be the same pull 

Message 8 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@ReBuildingAgn wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@ReBuildingAgn wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@ReBuildingAgn wrote:

DId you try for it?

No. I'm applying for a mortgage next month, so no apps for me Smiley Happy I'm working on my credit plan for the year. I know I'm going to have to get rid of the First Premier and Credit One cards this year. My credit has come up enough that I can ditch those cards. Plus my Amex will keep my AAoA up.

Good plan!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 17
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

Man... I opened this thread thinking you were going to give advice, not ask for advice.

Smiley EmbarassedSmiley SadSmiley Wink