Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Barclay Card CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on Barclay Card CLI

@Mike360 wrote:

IMO 50% is still too high. Also i wouldn't do it if you've opened any new accounts within the last 6 months. Barclays loves to close accounts for that. 

Yeah, 50% isn't exactly pretty, but she might do ok for the relatively small increase she wants.  No way to really tell without pulling the trigger though.

I think the Barclays aversion to new accounts is overrated. I actually asked them about that and it's more for new customers with iffy approvals.  

Message 11 of 17
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Mike360 wrote:

IMO 50% is still too high. Also i wouldn't do it if you've opened any new accounts within the last 6 months. Barclays loves to close accounts for that. 

Yeah, 50% isn't exactly pretty, but she might do ok for the relatively small increase she wants.  No way to really tell without pulling the trigger though.

I think the Barclays aversion to new accounts is overrated. I actually asked them about that and it's more for new customers with iffy approvals.  

^^^ I like this answer.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shogun wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Mike360 wrote:

^^^ I like this answer.  Smiley Happy

I was worried since I've got a dozen new TLs within the past 6 months and two more still to start reporting (Don't  even ask how or why!) and I was worried my Barclays cards would get nuked.  I finally called and got routed with someone in a position to know and they stated not to worry.  They value long term relationships more than other things and both of my accounts are relatively old.  

For those with new accounts and iffy credit, caution may be in order.  But then that's also the recommendation for any bank.  Queen's Barclays card will be a year old by the time she requests her CLI and her credit has improved since approval so I'd think she'll be good.

Message 13 of 17
QueenofReinvention
Contributor

Thanks for all the great advice! Yes, I won't be applying for anything, so I should be ok. This year is ALL about paying things off and saving as much money as I can to rebuild back to where I used to be. Slow and steady wins the race!

Message 14 of 17
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

If your not interested in the Walmart card, try Comenity.  They have some department store cards which will become Visa or MasterCard later.  After you get one with them it becomes easier to get another.  I had a Beall's of Florida and a Marathon Gas Card with them for about 8 months I think and then I applied for the Marathon Visa card and they gave me a good limit with it.  It was actually the highest limit at the time of all the cards.  It is still my third highest limit and I barely use the card.  Mostly because I don't carry a balance and the rewards are only for gas.  (I don't drive, so I don't need gas rewards.  Well I do drive, but no in the US!)  The nice thing about GE is that they will increase you limit pretty nicely over time.  I actually just got an increase on my Walmart Card today from $1000 to $1700 and the card is only about 6 months old.  It started out at $500, so it's doing pretty good.  I don't even know it I have spent a total of $700 on the card in the whole time, so having a balance or using it much is not much of an issue for either of them!  (I have spent about $200 on the Marathon Visa card.)  The nice thing about the Visa products at Comenity is that they will lower the interest rate on the card too! 

I asked them to lower my interest on the card in December or January and they gave me the lowest interest rate they offer.  No really that low, 16.99%, but it is their lowest rate.  I guess they figured there was no harm in that since I wasn't using the card or paying interest.  Even if you get a Walmart card with GE and don't shop there much there are a few benefits you can take advantage of.  They at times offer a nice discount on gas, it helps your util, and over time it might PC to a Discover card!  If you strategize it out and get limit increases every 3 months and it PC's to a Discover card, then it becomes more usable.  Just something to consider and Good Luck!

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 15 of 17
QueenofReinvention
Contributor

@bernhardtra wrote:

If your not interested in the Walmart card, try Comenity.  They have some department store cards which will become Visa or MasterCard later.  After you get one with them it becomes easier to get another.  I had a Beall's of Florida and a Marathon Gas Card with them for about 8 months I think and then I applied for the Marathon Visa card and they gave me a good limit with it.  It was actually the highest limit at the time of all the cards.  It is still my third highest limit and I barely use the card.  Mostly because I don't carry a balance and the rewards are only for gas.  (I don't drive, so I don't need gas rewards.  Well I do drive, but no in the US!)  The nice thing about GE is that they will increase you limit pretty nicely over time.  I actually just got an increase on my Walmart Card today from $1000 to $1700 and the card is only about 6 months old.  It started out at $500, so it's doing pretty good.  I don't even know it I have spent a total of $700 on the card in the whole time, so having a balance or using it much is not much of an issue for either of them!  (I have spent about $200 on the Marathon Visa card.)  The nice thing about the Visa products at Comenity is that they will lower the interest rate on the card too! 

I asked them to lower my interest on the card in December or January and they gave me the lowest interest rate they offer.  No really that low, 16.99%, but it is their lowest rate.  I guess they figured there was no harm in that since I wasn't using the card or paying interest.  Even if you get a Walmart card with GE and don't shop there much there are a few benefits you can take advantage of.  They at times offer a nice discount on gas, it helps your util, and over time it might PC to a Discover card!  If you strategize it out and get limit increases every 3 months and it PC's to a Discover card, then it becomes more usable.  Just something to consider and Good Luck!

Thanks for the great information! I'll have to check out Comenity cards (I'm assuming it's like GE and has a lot of different cards in its product family).

Message 16 of 17
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@QueenofReinvention wrote:

Thanks for the great information! I'll have to check out Comenity cards (I'm assuming it's like GE and has a lot of different cards in its product family).

Comenity Bank used to be called World Financial Network National Bank.  They have quite a list of them, I have made an incomplete list below it this helps.  I say incomplete because I may have missed one or two, maybe three or four, but maybe not looking at the list.  Some may have been dropped, I may have duplicated 1 or 2, but anyway, here you go....  .....   ...   . .    .  Some of them have upgrades to a Visa or MasterCard or a Visa/MasterCard Partner Card.  For example I have Marathon and Marathon Visa; they don't upgrade the card, they just let you get two.  If they change that policy I will have two Marathon Visa Cards.

LISTING

Bealls of Florida

Bealls Outlet (Same company, different card.  You can use the Bealls of Floridia at the Bealls outlet, but not vice versa. That was Bealls doing not them.)

Marathon Gas

Marathon Gas Visa

Victoria's Secret

NY and Co.

Brylane Homes

Abercrombie

Sportsman's Guide Visa

My Points Visa

J. Crew

Express

The Limited

HSN card

J. Crew

Buckle

One Stop Plus

Catherines

West Elm

Crate & Barrell

Bon Ton

Avenue

Justice

Dressbarn

Restorations Hardware

Burkes

Maurice's

Pottery Barn

Christopher and Banks

Eddie Bauer

Z Gallerie

Reeds Jewelers

Petland

Metrostyle

Chadwicks

Roamans

Arhaus Archage

OPT/Arizona Mail Order

Torrid

J. Jill

King Size

Goodies

Peebles

Ashley Stewart

Davids Bridal

Stage

Blaire

Lane Bryant

Giant Eagle

Bedford Fair

Value City

Fashion Bug

American Signature

Haband

Speigel

Ann Taylor

Gander Mountain

Samueal Diamond

Undergear

American

Women Within

Trek

Pier 1

Pacific Sunwear

Palais Royal

Gardner White

Orchard Supply Hardware

Sports Authority

Gordmans

Smile Generation Financial

The Room Place

Love Loft

You might find one in here your like or a few you can't use which will help you keep util down.  I imaginge that you need to wait a few to 6 months before you get their other cards.  The same with GE.  I know when I got the Walmart card I also applied for the Belk's card and I am pretty sure they pulled a credit report for each.  They pulled a report later for my Paypal Visa.  So be careful, maybe the soft pull only works if you are at the site for GE and they have already prequalified you.  Here you can find a list for GE cards.  Good Luck

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.