cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Cap1 Secured Card .. keep or drop?

tag
handle_free

Advice on Cap1 Secured Card .. keep or drop?

Hello everyone,

I'd like to start by saying that I've been lurking around these forums for quite some time now and have found the information provided on this forum to be exceptional. Before coming across this site I knew v v little about the intricacies of proper credit management and score building.

A little history first (will try to keep it short). I moved to the US almost 2 years ago at the end of 2011. I have a v good job that pays above 100K. Back from my home country I used credit cards sporadically so but not so much due to the high transaction fees associated w each transaction. In any case always pif and had aprox 24K in credit card spending available to me. Never came close to using the max though. Now after moving to the US I found myself needing credit cards and was astonished that my history did not carry over and I had to start over from scratch. I did deposit a sizable amount in my Chase acct but that did not matter. According to my Chase banker they would not take a risk in granting me a credit card even after citing my large deposits.

I was advised to either apply for a store card or a Cap1 card. I didn't want to go for a store card since I had a feeling I wouldnt be approved so I opted for a secured Cap1 card. I did however drop $1000 into the acct thus increasing my limit to $1200.

From time to time I would receive offers CC offers in the mail mostly from Citi w pre-approvals for their AAdvantage cards (I do a whole lot of traveling w AA) and stupid me I applied once or twice only to be rejected. So unknowingly I went into the "garden" and stayed there for aprox 1 yr until about 2 months ago. I app'd for the Amex PRG and was instantly approved and after that about 2 weeks later I app'd for the CSP and got that 1 as well with a 5K limit (did receive the 7-10 day msg and called to recon and was approved right away). Now all my spending including bills are going through these 2 cards where before I used my debit card and/or auto checking acct payments.

Now due to these 2 new acct inq my AAOA as dropped to 6 months. My oldest acct remains the secured Cap1 card but after reading various threads it seems that graduating that card to unsecured is practically impossible.

Any advice on what to do? I have 1K locked in that acct, have received zero CLI's even though the acct has been managed impeccably for almost 2 years now. I did call a CS about a year ago to inquire about a CLI and was denied. He did mention and thanked me about how great I have managed my credit w them and my acct is periodically being reviewed. Now what to do?

Should I close it or keep. I'm all ears on any advice you experts can provide.

Thanks in advance and sorry again for the long story.

My latest FACO's from Credit Secure for all 3 (Exp, TU and Eq) range from 725 to 735.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
mnosal9
Regular Contributor

Re: Advice on Cap1 Secured Card .. keep or drop?

I kept my Cap 1 secured card until I got my Discover and Citibank which was 8 months later.

Starting: 6/2012 : EX: 485(FAKO) EQ: 490(FICO) Trans: 482(FAKO)
Current : 4/2014: EX: 650(FICO) EQ: 664 (FICO) Trans: 681 (FICO)

Cards: NPSL Amex Green (AU), $11500 Discover IT, $4000 Quicksilver One, $3500 Bank of America Travel Rewards,$3000 Amex BCE,$3000 Quicksilver One, $3000 AA, $2500 Sallie Mae MC, $5000 Citibank AA, $1500 Barclay, $1200 Macys
~Back to the Garden~

Goal Score: 700 Across!

Gardening til 8/2014!!
Message 2 of 8
Contributor

Close it. Its usefulness has run its course and it'll still report for up to 10 years after its closed. With you having the CSP and the PRG, I wouldn't think twice about closing it.

$1500            $1500             $2500             $2500             NPSL         
Starting EQ: 646 - Current EQ: 693 - Goal EQ for 12/2013: >720
Gardening from 7/2013 until 1/2014
Message 3 of 8
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

You can leave it open or not. Your choice.

I was going to say that you should contact Capital One's EO, but in my opinion, the two cards you have acquired, surpasses that which Capital One can offer.
Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Message 4 of 8
handle_free

Thanks for the advice guys. Question though on the reporting years. So other than the drop in available credit if I close the acct the reporting will continue for another 10 yrs?

Does this apply to my wife's reports as well since she's an AU on the Cap1 card and gets a boost from having it open at the moment?

Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

@handle_free wrote:

Thanks for the advice guys. Question though on the reporting years. So other than the drop in available credit if I close the acct the reporting will continue for another 10 yrs?

Does this apply to my wife's reports as well since she's an AU on the Cap1 card and gets a boost from having it open at the moment?

Thanks Smiley Happy

Correct

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 8
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@handle_free wrote:

Thanks Smiley Happy

It may be time to close it from your credits point of view.  

However, It may not be good for her credit to close it.   What does her credit look like?

Message 7 of 8
handle_free

She has a thin file so no luck pulling a FICO score from this site, however Credit Sesame reports a 724 and Credit karma reports a 750 score. She just recently at the beginning of March app'd and was approved after waiting a few days for own Amex BCP card starting w a 2K limit. As of last month this has now been increased to 6K thanks to the 3x CLI.

I have added her as an AU to both of my new cards as well being the Amex PRG and CSP.

So the question is now; will keeping the Cap1 card open be good for her and in the long run bad for me from other lenders perspective? especially since I want to grow my CLI's and maybe app for 1 more card to compensate for the available credit i'll have after dropping the Cap1?

Or will closing the card not have that much of an impact on her AAoA and score?

I know its kinda like catch 22.

Thanks again guys Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.