Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Credit for student?

tag
AllenR24

Advice on Credit for student?

Hello there!

Alright guys so I got my first credit card last September with Capital One. I applied for the Student Journey card, and I was approved with a 500 dollar CL. In November I applied for and was approved for an American Eagle store card with a 700 CL. It was later raised to 900 in December. I believe in Jan or Feb, one or the other. I got an automatic CL increase to 750 with capital one. I then got a Kohls card in April with a 800 dollar CL. And in June I applied for the Discover it card. I was approved for a 2000 CL. I was pretty excited because the CL was a lot higher than any of my other cards. I know that I made a mistake by getting store cards, particually the american eagle card. It was a complete waste. But I only have 3 hard inquiries on my credit report. I pay all my cards off in full each month, I have not been charged a cent of interest.

I guess my question is what should I do to keep my score up?

Oh and I am 18. I turn 19 later this month.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Advice on Credit for student?

Let your account age without acquiring any new inquiries and your scores will go up eventually.

Keeping utilization low will help improve your scores as well, but its not necessary to do so unless you plan to apply for new credit within the next month or so.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 11
Rackham94
Established Contributor

This November when your Cap1 turns 1 year email Executive Office for CLI on Journey's to maybe 3500 but say you are willing to take less.

On American Eagle every 4th statement call into Credit Solutions and ask for a high CLI.

Discover wait 6 months and ask for CLI

your best bet at this point to maxmize score is to Age,Age, and AGE!! I would set all CCs on autopay with minimum payment plus $30-$40 if you can. 

Message 3 of 11
AllenR24

Thanks! Really detailed, I like it. So I would email Cap One instead of calling them?

Message 4 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, email them. You can google the chairman's name for capital one.

Good luck
Message 5 of 11
AllenR24

Thanks!

Sounds good. How long do I need a established credit history to get a card with American Express? Such as a rewards cash-back type card.

Message 6 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 7 of 11
enharu
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
To be safe, 1 yr. YMMV

+1

You might be able to get their charge cards with a shorter history, but 1 year credit history is recommended for their revolvers.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 11
CollegeStudent530
Regular Contributor

You already have a Discover It card that rewards you very well!! Good job man! Congrats on your credit limits. They are impressive for students our age. Currently, I am aging all my accounts in the garden. No more hard pulls. Soft pulls maybe. But no more applications... for awhile for me! =) Age those accounts. 

It took me a little under 2 years to get my Amex BCE card. I probably could have gotten it sooner, but I'm not complaining right now. It's coming in the mail in the next few days and I'm stoked!

Message 9 of 11
AllenR24

Thanks for all your responses! And congrats CollegeStudent530!

That card looks pretty awesome tbh.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.