Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on Deposit for Secured CC

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on Deposit for Secured CC

I was denied a secured card from HSBC, which really depressed me until I was approved by Capital One.  I have until July 2nd to give my deposit over the phone or online.  Much more convenient than HSBC.  Anyways, they asked for at least $99 and I can increase my limit anytime by sending in more at any time.  My question is if I send the $99 now so that I can begin rebuilding my credit asap, will it have any kind of negative impact on my score when I send more $$ later to increase my limit.  I would like to have up to a $500 limit but cannot send it all now.  Just wondering since I'd like to be very careful what I do.  Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Re: Advice on Deposit for Secured CC

@Anonymous wrote:

I was denied a secured card from HSBC, which really depressed me until I was approved by Capital One.  I have until July 2nd to give my deposit over the phone or online.  Much more convenient than HSBC.  Anyways, they asked for at least $99 and I can increase my limit anytime by sending in more at any time.  My question is if I send the $99 now so that I can begin rebuilding my credit asap, will it have any kind of negative impact on my score when I send more $$ later to increase my limit.  I would like to have up to a $500 limit but cannot send it all now.  Just wondering since I'd like to be very careful what I do.  Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

It's going to help you build a better relationship with Capital one by opening up a secured card. Send in the 1st $99 than send in more or what you can down the road. Even though it's a secured card, manage your utilization well. In other words, if you have $99, don't spend over $50. Pay it down before the statement is dued on your card. Keep doing that and after 6 months with Capital One, call in and ask for the card to become unsecured. Once they see you are reponsible, they may unsecured the card and grant you a CL of $500. Good luck !

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Advice on Deposit for Secured CC

The downpayment of $99 it's for a credit line of $200 (I have the same card but I was approved for a $49 down payment but i increased it to $500 so my down payment was for $349) I got it last month n today I made my first payment the only thing that I didn't like was that my card took like about a month to arrived but so far everything else it's ok ...and I don't think you would have a negative impact when increasing your limit.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.