Advice on Discover CLI?

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Advice on Discover CLI?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There is no rhyme or reason with Discover. Some are 31 days, some are 91 days, some are none at all. My usage is way, way less than yours - average of $105 a month - and my last CLI was $4500 at 31 days. But the one before that took 91 days and was much smaller.

What's your FICO score?

TU, the one they use for CLI's, is 815.

That supports the point I was making to aptiger, that the big Discover CLI's generally go to people with high FICO scores.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 11 of 23
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

I can add a data point to that and the many others I have read here....Higher TU fico gets bigger increases..... my TU 666 only 500 increase, my moms TU fico 790, 4800 increase - very little usage.

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

My TU is 749 VIA the Disover site. I got my last limit increase about 2 months ago. I started around $7500 last year and now I'm at $13,500 limit. All in less than a year! I love my Disvoer card. I charge between my AMX ED CC ($10,000 Limit) and Discover IT card!

If it declines you try their chat or give them a call.

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really think there is no rhyme or reason. I started in June with a $6500 SL. Now it's up to $8500.

My TU is pretty decent at 748, but I've never seen a huge CLI. Two $500s and a $1000 (I think).

Some people get them every 31 days... others at 91. Some can't get a CLI to save their life.

Message 14 of 23
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

I'm sure it is an algorithum they use to which we will never know....outside of score I'm sure usage, AAoA, and the entire profile has a say in it as well ( as with all things, unequal as they may be) What works for one will not work for all, as we have seen time and time again. I was just thankful to get approved 2 months after BK DC with a 7.5K SL now 8K. I dont mind it it doesnt grow fast.

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I really think there is no rhyme or reason. I started in June with a $6500 SL. Now it's up to $8500.

My TU is pretty decent at 748, but I've never seen a huge CLI. Two $500s and a $1000 (I think).

Some people get them every 31 days... others at 91. Some can't get a CLI to save their life.

I agree with you! When I got my AMX card last month I went a head and made an online acct. For fun I hit the CLI button and I went from $8500 to $10,500 CLI! Its insane. Where as Lowes ($6000), Amazon ($2800) and Wally world card ($2800) wont give me the time of day! (All the same bank I know but they all have lower limits considering my Discover is $13,500 & AMX is $10,500)

Message 16 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Before my most recent, which was my 9th CLI, I had never seen a big one. All had been between $500 and $1500.

Message 17 of 23
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Waiting till the 91st day is generally a good idea unless there is a gravy train running.

For a good chunk of people, that's when Discover thinks you are eligible for a CLI.

I got a $3k CLI by waiting a few days over 91 days. My FICO is 785 TU.

Also, if you are getting the "not enough experience" note, I'll say it's a good sign. That means Discover thinks your profile is fine (HP not necessary), just take some time. Try in a week or so (91 days).
Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

1) Use it everywhere and no other card (unless better benefits)

2) Get a higher credit score and income

3) PIF (pay in full) 

Nothing else you can do.

Message 19 of 23
amakol
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There is no rhyme or reason with Discover. Some are 31 days, some are 91 days, some are none at all. My usage is way, way less than yours - average of $105 a month - and my last CLI was $4500 at 31 days. But the one before that took 91 days and was much smaller.

Yeah, the less thinking with Discover the better.

I have had constant $1-1.5K CLIs whenever I press the online button for over a year now, but this was after 5 years of almost nothing without a HP.

So, I've abused the button. Sometimes 90+ days if I forget about my credit cards, sometimes less than a month if I'm impatient. They give a CLI every time - whether the account activity is $50 total or $500.

My GF has had an account with them for even longer than me. They've increased her CL just once in 8 years.

EQ 740 FICO, 4 INQ | EX 736 FICO, 5 INQ | TU 745 FICO, 5 INQ | CL $175K | AAOA 4 Years
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.