Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on GECRB

tag
hahayepyep
Regular Contributor

Advice on GECRB

I took out a store card earlier this year (for a local jewlery store, underwritten by GECRB).  I had the cash in-hand for the purchase, but wanted to get a positive TL going.  I hadn't apped yet at the time for the rewards cards I have now (or I would have just used one of them), and was pretty sure I'd be approved for a CL high enough to use for the purchase.  The plan was just to pay it down over the interest free period, but I got impatient and paid off the full balance already.  The original and current CL is $1500.

My question is: What do I do with this?  Given that it's not a store like Target where I can find a way to use it now and then on something small, do I just let it sit there?  I could probably use it again in a year and a half for a gift I'm planning on buying at that same store, but will probably want to use my AMEX Delta card for that purchase.  Since I won't be using this account any time soon, I imagine there's little hope of a CLI, and some years back, I had GERCB close a store card on me due to inactivity.  I'd prefer not to have a second "closed by creditor" TL to explain come mortgage time.  Thinking back now, I guess I shouldn't have apped for a store card, but I had no way of knowing my GW letters I had written in my rebuilding would have been accepted, thus boosting my scores.

Is PC even on the table in these situations?

My credit repair journey started in December 2013 with an EX of 568.
Oct 2014: 715EQ (myFICO)

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Re: Advice on GECRB

@hahayepyep wrote:

I took out a store card earlier this year (for a local jewlery store, underwritten by GECRB).  I had the cash in-hand for the purchase, but wanted to get a positive TL going.  I hadn't apped yet at the time for the rewards cards I have now (or I would have just used one of them), and was pretty sure I'd be approved for a CL high enough to use for the purchase.  The plan was just to pay it down over the interest free period, but I got impatient and paid off the full balance already.  The original and current CL is $1500.

My question is: What do I do with this?  Given that it's not a store like Target where I can find a way to use it now and then on something small, do I just let it sit there?  I could probably use it again in a year and a half for a gift I'm planning on buying at that same store, but will probably want to use my AMEX Delta card for that purchase.  Since I won't be using this account any time soon, I imagine there's little hope of a CLI, and some years back, I had GERCB close a store card on me due to inactivity.  I'd prefer not to have a second "closed by creditor" TL to explain come mortgage time.  Thinking back now, I guess I shouldn't have apped for a store card, but I had no way of knowing my GW letters I had written in my rebuilding would have been accepted, thus boosting my scores.

Is PC even on the table in these situations?

Back in the day when I had a Zales card I ran into this exact issue.  I didn't know anything about credit at that time so I just closed it after I paid off the purchase.  I dont think they have a PC offer but I could be wrong.  I'd say SD it and if they close it let it happen.  You have better cards for that purchase in a year, and the line will report positive for 10 years after it closes.  Or just go ahead and close it yourself to avoid a "closed by creditor" either way the only thing it will affect is your util. 

Message 2 of 3
hahayepyep
Regular Contributor

Re: Advice on GECRB

Thanks.

I was half hoping that everyone would have a successful PC story to share, but no such luck, eh?.  I may look into it down the road a bit.

Anyone know how long you can sock drawer a store card before they get impatient?  I'd definately like to close it myself rather than have them do it.  It's not much, but the $1500 does help util % for sure.

Anyone ever had luck getting CLI with GECRB based purley on improved scores rather than usage habits?

My credit repair journey started in December 2013 with an EX of 568.
Oct 2014: 715EQ (myFICO)

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.